Friday, November 9, 2007

Who I Read and What I Watch..(Nov. 9, 2007)

I would like to think my tongue in cheek style is mostly my own...But that would be unfair to the regular sportswriters that I read on a daily or weekly basis that have helped shaped the writing style, if you can call it that, that I use...Which is a third person, some facts, some fun, and lots of name calling included in the mix. If you like reading the blogs and e-mails, other people that I know you will enjoy reading:

Mike Lopresti - USA Today. I usually always read Mike's column, and he always adds a little personal insight into the facts that he presents. Some of the best stuff he does is for college football and if you go back to the 2006 November articles he did before the UM-OSU game, you will see why he is a must read for me...

Pat Forde - ESPN.com. Pat Forde and the "Forde Yard Dash" where he references 40 teams, players, coaches or "Dashettes" in his column is a weekly MUST READ for any fan who likes a little, no make that a lot, of insight and humor in his sports digestion. Pat does a great job of hosing down those that need it and has some of his own nicknames, including the "Scourge" Ty Willingham, who he believes was so unjustly run out of South Bend that he will never forgive the Domers for the act...So the guy can't be all bad. I also like the "Dashettes" - or did I already mention that???

Bob Wojonowski - The Detroit News. Wojo is a Michigan Man and always has the right perspective on Michigan when they are good or bad, and seems to be able to add the perfect amount of humor and insight into his opinions...

Angelique Chengelis - The Detroit News. While I didn't like "The Angel" at first, she has developed nicely as the Wolverines Beat writer for the news, keeping it light and adding insight.

Writers that I read and make me believe that I could work in the industry - OR - How can these clowns still have a job?

Drew Sharp - Free Press. This guy has to be not only the worst Sports Writer in D-town, but he has to be the most negative person when it comes to Michigan and Detroit Sports in general... This guy would complain after hooking up with a Playboy Playmate that the sex wasn't what he expected... When he truly went into the toilet for me: January, 1998 - "Michigan's National Title will always be tainted by the fact that the press and voters believed that Nebraska was a more representative National Champion"...What the hell? He's the local guy saying that Nebraska is better...Moron, Idiot, Jerk, and As#$hole are all too nice for descriptions of this guy..

Erik Smith - USA Today. This guy is supposed to pick and forecast the weekends games, but he rarely picks an upset, and he doesn't like Michigan....Annoying, but I read him because it usually kicks off the weekend...

Christy Brennan - USA Today....This woman knows so little about sports, and even less about writing about them...Makes you wonder how she got the job and how she keeps it...

What I like to Watch and Learn From:

College Game Day: Is there any other place you would rather be on Saturday Morning, if you're not at the Tailgate, than in front of the tube getting a fill of the day's action from Chris, Kirk, and Lee? I especially like Kirk Herbstreit - I know, he is a Suckeye, but I think he is one of the most insightful college football minds out there. And his Saturday Schedules are fun to follow...The guy starts his day in one place and by Saturday night, he is usually 1,000's of miles away....Corso - you gotta love the old coach and the guts he has to pick the upsets in the opposing teams stadium when he pulls out the opposing team's mascot helmet or garb...

Lou Holz - I disliked him as a coach, but ole Lou knows the game and he knows who's good and bad...but he still has a blindspot when it comes to the Domers...

Mark May - Very insightful and probably has a better handle on who's good and bad in college football than most of the ESPN guys...

Sunday Morning: College Game Day Final...The last dose until the following Week...

No comments: