Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Pain ( November 20, 2006)

Well, on Friday if you had told me Michigan would score 39 points against OSU, I would have responded that they'll win the game. If you had told me on Friday that the Defense would give up 42 points, I would have told you that you were nuts....You haven't been watching Michigan's Defense this year....

But, Michigan did give up 42 in a shrewd game plan called by Tressel that didn't include a run from scrimmage by OSU for the first 6 plays.....That blew my mind. I really thought the Sweater Vested one would have tried rushing early, but he didn't need to. Troy Smith is for real, and the Buckeyes have plenty of receiving weapons on their side of the ball......Michigan didn't have a plan in place to cover 5 wide receivers for OSU......You think Woody and Bo were up there saying, "What the @#$%@ is this? When is someone going to run the ball?????"

So, congrats go out to all the Buckeyes that are making their reservations for Glendale AZ and looking forward to their National Title berth...speaking of which...The BCS rankings are out, and unless you don't follow them, or watch regular news, Michigan is still ranked #2 thanks mostly to the computer rankings and the strength of schedule. The Human Polls have Michigan at #3, behind USC, with the Domers sliding in behind the Blue at #4. So, where does that leave us? If the season ended today (but it didn't) it means exactly what you think it means - OSU would have to replay Michigan for the National Title. And while I am not sure how I feel about that - yet - I think a rematch would only enhance what is already a great rivalry. My only concern would be: could Michigan restructure their game plan and put in enough wrinkles to beat the Buckeyes? If not, Michigan would forever be etched in the second to last line of the OSU "Priceless" routine and we would be the ones that would have to forever bear losing to the Buckeyes twice in one season.......But, none the less. I have enough confidence in my team to believe that they could pull off a victory on a neutral field...

It leaves us with, and I can't believe I am actually going to say this, but it leaves us with every Michigan Fan becoming a Domer fan for 3 1/2 hours next Saturday when the Domers head out to LA to face the USC Trojans....Yes, I know - You heard the MMQ right. We need to pull together and rally for the Blue - Gold - Green - whatever - of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and at least hope to have a shot a re-match with the Buckeyes..... "Go Irish!" (I never in a million years ever thought I would type that line......). So, Jeez, I don't hate those guys that much this week....But if you lose.....Well, you know where that puts you.....

Why, you ask, is USC, besides Michigan, the only team in the BCS that should be considered for the opportunity to play OSU? Let's break it down:

USC - Even though I became a "Beaver Believer!" when Oregon State defeated the Rubbers, I think the Pac 10 is a fairly tough conference this year - top to bottom. I also think that USC has started playing better football then when the season began, even after they hung 50 on the Razorbacks......
GATORLAND - Sorry guys....I just don't think a loss to Auburn, where Auburn didn't score an offensive Touchdown, looks that good on your resume - you have to be able to score somehow to win that game. Near misses to Vanderbilt and South Carolina also have me a little concerned about your ability to take on the Buckeyes....
DOMERS - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! Not when you let someone, anyone, hang 47 on you in your own house should you have a shot at the National Title....But beat USC, would ya'?
SOOOOEYS (Arkansas) - See the Domer reference above. If USC hangs 50 on you at home, you don't get a shot regardless of what you do in the SEC....and I want to see you beat Florida in a very decisive manner, first.
WVU, CHEESEHEADS, LSU - Go away - you are not even part of the conversation.....

MMQ

"What the Mind can Conceive and Believe, the Mind can Achieve...
And Those Who Stay Will Be Champions!"
-Bo Schembechler, University of Michigan Locker Room

No comments: