Thursday, November 8, 2007

Countdown to Showdown (November 15, 2006)

3 Days, 7 hours, 13 minutes.........

Memorable Wins and Upsets by the Michigan Wolverines - One Fan's recollection.....

1976 - I remember getting hooked on Michigan at that point....we were at an Uncle's house watching the Game...I remember the scene on the Canham's Green- Green carpet. Michigan was a big dog going into the game and they weren't supposed to win. The day was a little cold and overcast and I laid on the floor in front of the TV glued to the final seconds and the countdown by the Michigan Fans....This was when the Student Section still threw REAMS of Toilet Paper after every TD and as the final seconds ticked off....Leach and company had pulled it off!!!!

1985 - My first BIG GAME as a Student.....My Freshmen year we played them away in 1984 and that was the 6-6 year....Then, in 1985, Jim Harbuagh and John Kolesar made magic all year and then in what I remember as being the 3rd quarter of The Game, Jim dropped back and hit Kolesar on a Post pattern that was coming right to the student section.....(I am getting chills as I remember this)....That pretty much sealed the victory and the ensuing celebration that resulted in the students rushing the field.....

1989 - Leroy Hoard ran all over the Buckeyes Defense and the Wolverines went on to the Rose Bowl and won that year....

1991 - The Heismann Pose.....Desmond Howard and company dismantled a hapless group of hairless nuts......

1993 - OSU came into Ann Arbor Undefeated and ranked #1 in the country....I remember going and thinking that we would get creamed by this group....They had a new Coach, John Cooper, and he had OSU playing like a semi-pro team. Michigan came out and forced a turnover on OSU's first possession and the Wolverines never looked back....The final score was 28-0 and the OSU fans in attendance stumbled out of the Big House dazed and confused.....

1997 - I remember that summer thinking we might not be that good of a team that year after a somehwat dismal 1996 and discussing it with my brother-in-law, but he got me fired up and into believing.....I remember he asked my wife for her game ticket as birthday present and she happily obliged.....When The Game came around, I think she regretted having given it up, as the Amaizing Blue was undefeated and on it's way to a potential National Title.....With only their arch nemesis, who we had spoiled so many national title opportunities, in it's way...But Woodson, Griese and company prevailed on a cold, overcast day where I am not sure I sat down once....I remember the sun peeking out from the clouds in the 4th quarter and I thought - "We're Going to Win the Game and Play for the National Title!" Jeff and I went nuts when Woodson scored and sewed up the Heismann....Eann and friends managed to sweet talk their way past security and joined us for the post game celebration.....

I hope this brings back some memories for others that have loved this match-up as much as I have.....

BRING ON THE GAME!!!

GO BLUE!!!

MMQ

"What the Mind can Conceive and Believe, the Mind can Achieve...
And Those Who Stay Will Be Champions!"
-Bo Schembechler, University of Michigan Locker Room

No comments: