When I first let the thoughts into my head about what beating ohio would be like and what I would write on Monday Morning, something hit me: I’ve never “posted a blog” on beating Ohio. Ever. There were e-mails back in the day when we defeated the “evil empire” from the south (and by the way, check out “Nard Wars” for a great spoof on that franchise and BC as Chewbacca). But I had never posted an “Ohio Sucks” entry POST The Game.
(Sure, I’ve had a lot of “Ohio Sucks” entries that can never be counted…It would take too long…But I’m talking when it really, truly mattered.)
This is what it means: It means you take the time to cherish it. Celebrate! Hang on to this feeling for the next 363 days until it either goes away for another year or you get to re-live it all over again. Call every ohio fan that you know and do a little dance on their head and let them know that you’re still a Michigan Fan, you haven’t given up on the program, and you will forever support the Maize and Blue through thick and thin, regardless of the outcomes.
It also means that our young fans get what it now means to beat these clowns. Even my daughter who had asked me awhile ago if we had ever beaten the Suckeyes, saw what a true Michigan celebration was. It’s something that can’t be described and is unparalleled in the feeling of accomplishment and “ending a season on the right note.”
Everyone at the tailgate on Saturday got this. There was a general feeling of relief that almost over took the feeling of underlying jubilation that was just below the surface. But, the jubilation came through as the fans poured onto the field and we watched the clock that said 2926 days since a victory over OSU click down to 0000 on the giant scoreboards. That instant, that moment in time, for me anyway, was when I knew I could let it out and let the specter of ohio go for at least a year. For those of us that were left in the parking lot at 6:00 PM, kudos. We got it. It was a day for celebration!
There are so many Suckeyes out there trying to rationalize the loss stating, “Well, at least we got Urban Legend.” I’m really anxious to see how well he does at OSU. And as I stated before, I would love to see Illinois grab the next best guy out there (Mike Leach?) and bring him into the B1G 10 fold….Not to mention who PSU might bring in to replace the interim dead man walking there…but I digress.
This victory means a lot to the fans, but even more to the student athletes that played the game. The Suckeyes got used to winning, just like Michigan did during the Cooper Era. We’ve now each had our “Unusual Run” in what is supposed to be a rivalry. Let’s hope (sort of) that long runs for OSU are officially dead and LONG LIVE THE RIVALRY!
Something just wouldn't be right if we didn't give a little nod to the guy on the right that had a huge hand in making me the fan I am today as well...And while it's a cheap rip-off, I somehow feel like now's a good time to salute the Ufe:
"Seven long years of waiting, seven long years of pain,
Hoke set out with a purpose, to erase this era of shame...
With the seniors that Stayed, Believed and Conquored!
They've won the Year's Last Game!
The OSU game of '11 the fans will long remember,
this win will leave a taste so sweet right through till next November..."
And I look forward to kicking your collective asses again next year in the shoe!
The BCS Mess
Oh, how I love the BCS! It creates chaos out of normalness and makes grown men into crying masses of humanity. I really love the fact that some B-East team is going to truly go down in flames to someone and that the SEC will only get two teams in. Of course, this is putting the cart before the horse, so let’s review the weekend’s carnage.
LSU – Arkansas: I’ll admit that this was one game that I thought would truly give the Hatter and LMU fits. I really believed that the Petrino offense had a shot against that LMU defense. I was wrong and I admit it readily. I am now convinced that there isn’t a team that can beat the Hat at this point, and to want to play him is suicide. So, good luck with that Alabama or Okie State, whichever one makes it to the National Championship.
Wiscy – PSU: So, I’ve heard so many things about the B1G 10 championship, that I’m not quite sure what to believe. I do believe that the best B1G 10 team is in it and the other team is Sparty. Which means that Sparty will lose and end of at 10-3. Which means that they are technically in a tie for second with, uh, well I’ll be – It’s MICHIGAN! What does that mean? It means that the Bowls will probably take whoever they think will be the bigger draw….And you know what that means.
Mr. Lucky - Domers (JEEZ I HATE THESE GUYS!): This game did two absolutely wonderful things: It put Mr. Lucky in the 4th spot in the overall BCS (it doesn’t mean much, I know) and it also eliminated the Domers from BCS contention! That, my friends, is worth celebrating if you’re a Wolverine fan. Good ole 9-3 Kelly will be looking at the Champs Bowl on New Year’s Eve it looks like…Heh-heh…HAHAHAHAHAHA!
1. LSU- Yep, I’m convinced. I predicted that LSU might have a good season, but I didn’t think they’d be this good.
2. Satan’s Warriors – This, I saw coming. But when you over sign by at least 10 recruits and then simply “cut” the chaff, well, what do you expect?
3. Okie State: One blemish, or we might be talking about a different National Championship game. Maybe Danielson will pimp his services out for Okie State and “no one wants to see a rematch?” They have to get through the Laters, of course.
4. Stanford: Outside shot at the game, at best. Too much has to happen for the voters to believe and lift them up to the 1 or 2 spot.
5. Va Tech: I missed this one completely…How on Earth did Va-Tech get so good so quietly? Is that an ACC thing again? Win the ACC and take over #4? Or three? Only loss was to Clemson when they were good…
6. Houston: Keenum might make swiss cheese out of whatever defense he plays in the BCS game he’s going to…So Michigan fans need to be careful what they wish for…
7. Boy’s State…Whatever…
8. Arkansas: Ranked 8th and can’t make a BCS bowl…Too bad, so sad…Have fun beating up on the Spartans in the Capitol One Bowl…
9. Oregon: Rose Bowl Bound?
10. Okie Laters…C you in the Fiesta if you lose to Okie State IF okie state gets title nod?
11. K-State - Screwed….
12. South Carolina: 10-2, another SEC team that can’t make a BCS game..
13. Sparty: After they lose to Wiscy, they drop out of the top 14 in the BCS…
14. Georgia: Ditto for the dogs, unless they can somehow pull off the impossible upset…
15. Wiscy: Look for them to jump at least 4 spots when they win the B1G (right below Oregon)
16. Michigan: They will move up at least two after next week (Laters, Georgia, Wiscy or Sparty losing), setting up a Sugar Bowl game against Houston. (have to be in the top 14 for an at large bid)
So, what needs to happen, specifically for Michigan to make a BCS? My guess is, it doesn’t matter too much as the Sugar already loves the match up between Houston and Michigan on paper. Does it matter if Sparty wins or loses to Wisconsin for us to go to the Sugar? I don’t really think so…But all the talk shows want to make us believe it’s better for Michigan if Sparty wins. Here comes the fun part: Sparty (even though they will have 10 wins and beat Michigan) isn’t the draw that Michigan is when it comes to TV ratings and AIS at the game*. So, therefore, I’m rooting for Wiscy. That way, Sparty is stuck in the Outback Bowl as Wiscy will get the Rose nod, Nebraska gets the Capitol One nod, and that leaves the Jolly Green Giants in the Outback (Or possibly the Gator if PSU gets the Outback bid)…Have fun!
*By the way, this is the curse of the Rose Bowl Vote that Sparty simply can’t shake.
NOTE: The only thing that screws everything up above is if somehow the Laters and Richy Rich both win their conference Championships…
Idle Thoughts from Saturday
-The Big House is Packed and Rockin'!
-Always feels a little more electric for ohio...Maybe it's just me.
-Row behind us had too many T-Day eaters and winter clothes wearers…
-Daughter made the comment that maybe they should have a rule that you can only be so big or you can't go to the games…
-Luckily, she said it quietly to the Old Man…Er, MMQ
-Text I received in bathroom: “DAD! You’re missing the Band!”
-Sorry, kiddo…I know how big a deal that is, too.
-Fly by was again too high for it to be REALLY cool…
-Denard is having a great game. Which is exactly what Michigan needed.
-Having watched ohio a bunch this year, they never ran an offense that looked like that…
-I didn’t see the exact details of the botched punt, but the internet has more or less made Haegerup an overnight sensation…
-Sorry, Will. CATCH THE BALL NEXT TIME!
-Are the refs in this game the sorriest bunch you have ever seen?
-That was my feeling BEFORE The Fitz TD that got “reviewed”.
-I’m going on the official record that Michigan has been screwed more by having the review than it’s helped.
-No WAY that TD should have been over turned.
-Then, THEN the jackasses call holding and a personal foul?
-Neither of which, by the way, I’ve seen evidence of.
-Not that it matters now, but then, you could feel the angst rising in the crowd.
-OSU fans were trying to stay on the down low, but every time something bad happened, they were difficult to ignore.
-Which, by the way Michigan fan, if you’re going to sell the tix, at least get them to a Michigan fan? Is that asking too much?
-114, 431? I think that was the number. 2nd to the Domers. No way Brandon was going to give that record up in the first year.
-And frankly, it seemed more crowded for this game.
-38, 37, 36, 35…..4, 3, 2, 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Is there a greater feeling in the world than beating the suckeyes at home?
-Okay, on the road?
-And the Domers?
-I can’t think of one….
-Who’d a thunk 10 wins for Michigan this year?
-Here’s an idiot that thought Michigan would win 10 way back in August!
-What a moron…Wonder if this guy gambles?
-Probably one of those slappy’s that think’s they will win them all every year…
-Don’t know how he thought Michigan would ever beat Sparty! Maybe next year….
-Mr. Lucky showing the Domers what it takes to win…
-Domers can’t get through their pre-season unscathed and that will forever be their downfall…
-I think Mr. Lucky will be wearing a horse shoe on his helmet next year….
-But will he win 12 this year?
- Next week and it’s over…Time for bowls to start….
-It’s hard to believe it goes so damn fast…
-Of course, it goes faster when you’re winning!
The Hot Seat
Wow! Voter turn out last week was at an unprecedented high! 43 votes? Wow! I didn’t think there were than many readers out there! For the first time in a long time, a mascot from the prior week came from behind to win the week when Lucy Pinder knocked off all previous weekly winners (including Jenn Brown) and newcomer Kaley Cuoco. So, we are rounding out the field for Championship Week and have one more entry that has a shot at being a weekly winner. This nominee is one my daughters alerted me to after the re-make of “Foot Loose”. With no further ado, allow me to introduce the final Hot Seat Mascot nominee for the 2011 season, Julianne Hough!
They’re starting to drop like flies…It was a Black Sunday on the Coaching Carousel and the usual suspects have been rounded up…
1. LOCKSLEY – New Mexico
2. Mike Stoops – Arizona…One Arizona school leads to another…
3. Nutt….SEC is keeping coaches employed….
4. Joe Pa…He’ll be missed….
5. Zook – From the 1 seat to the Gone List….
6. Fickell – All right, so he didn’t get canned, but he’s probably not going to hang around…
7. Gill – Canned as soon as the last loss was on record…
8. Erickson – Still can’t quite figure this one….
9. Porter – Memphis…so long, good luck with a new guy.
Going, Going Gone…
1. Wulff…Has to be on the way out…
2. Nueheisel….Really? Still there? I guess he made the Pac 10 Title game…Supposedly to be canned after title game.
Hot Seat Rank
2. Kelly – Can’t believe he isn’t getting more heat for losing to Stanford. That’s supposed to be an “auto win” for the Domer old school fans….
3. Who’s left?
Hot Coach Rumors:
1. Legend – ohio – Looks like a done deal, but isn’t this the guy that retired from Florida, like three times?
2. Leach – Best coach available
3. Fickell – guy took a rag tag bunch to 6 wins…Illini anyone? This of course, assumes ohio cans him or Legen lets him stay…
4. Skip Holtz…Always on this list for a better gig…
5. Kevin Sumlin – This is the guy that has coached Keenum for 16, er, 6 years at Houston.
6. Randy Shannon – See #4…Sometimes you can’t have a list without certain names on it.
Best Jobs Available
1. OSU – not for long…
3. UCLA (soon)
5. Washington State – Well, it’s in the Pac 10
6. Ole Miss – See above…
FMQ Betting Results
This week was abysmal in the betting department, but once again, I blame the refs for Michigan not covering the spread. As for the rest, well, maybe I was a little too eager to take points in big rivalry games where it was obvious that the better teams were having none of that!
Arkansas (+12.5) @ LMU
Arkansas and the 12.5 for $75
Ooops….I thought Arkansas was better..
UCLA (+19.5) @ USC
UCLA and the 19.5 for $50
Another one that I figured was a no brainer for a local team getting points…50-0….WRONG!
Hoakies @ Virginia (+5)
Virgina and the 5 for $60
Sigh….This is becoming a pattern…Why didn’t I just get happy with points this week?
Florida @ FSU (-1.5)
Take the Seminoles and lay the -1.5 for $75
Finally, a win…BANK: $142.50
Alabama @ Auburn (+21)
Take Satan and lay the -21 for $60
And again….WN! Bank: $114
ohio @ THE BIG HOUSE (-7) O/U: 44
Take Michigan and lay the -7 for $120
Lose – Referees taking a call from Vegas screwed me here….
In addition, take the over for $100.
Okay, so I can pick the over under. WIN Bank: $190
3 way pays 6 to 1
Michigan - FSU - Mich/OSU OVER for $30
Losing again this week…Let’s try to get it back in the Championship Games!
Starting Bank: $963
Total Bet: $446.50
Enjoying the Ride…MMQ