Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sparty Thoughts

You know, I usually don't post before a game unless I am really compelled to say something about a particular opponent that is worthy of a post...You know, like The Domers or THE Suckeyes of THE OSU...

However, it has come to my attention that certain Sparties have decided that the University of Michigan does not, in fact, RESPECT Sparty and everything thing it stands for...And that the University of Michigan goes out of its way to IGNORE the Sparties...

Who are we playing again this weekend?

Oh, that's right.

Anyway, to show that we consider you somewhat of a rival, even though the record over the modern era of the last 30 years would suggest otherwise (23-7) and even though Sparty admittedly STOLE TWO of the victories that they currently enjoy (That would be 1991 and 2001 - the Desmond Howard no-call on the pass interference play and the Sparty Bob 1 Second game, respectively), I am giving you a pre-game "Phhhhhhhbt!" right in the ole kisser.

First of all, how can we respect you when clearly there is absolutely no respect from your side for the Wolverines? Isn't respect first earned, and then, isn't it a two way street? I actually do have some respect for the B-Ball Team and Izzo and I have gone on record before stating that I think Izzo is a great coach. In fact, just last week, I found myself defending Dantonio. And now I wonder, "Why?"

The pure hatred I get from Sparty is beyond anything that I get from the Domers (and JEEZ I HATE THOSE GUYS!) and maybe the Suckeyes. On occassion I will meet a classy Suckeye that will admit to pulling for the Wolverines as it makes the overall conference stronger...But Sparty, I believe if I gave you the option-

1. The Wolverines lose all but 1 game - we beat Sparty - or
2. Win them all except for one - we lose to Sparty

I am pretty sure that to a man you would opt for number 1. That is, you would rather lose to us but you would take great delight in seeing us lose every other game vs. having us win them all and proclaim nationally that you were the team that beat us. And that's just so sad and wrong on so many levels that it would take a psychologist years to untangle the twisted logic that scenario presents.

However, if I was a psychologist and I was going to tryto pyschoanalyze the source of this hatred, I would probably start with a deep dive and introspective look into some of the following (recent) games:

1. October 30, 2004....Michigan trails 27-10 with 8:43 remaining in the game - Sparty has a 17 point lead...The Wolverines take the ball on two, count them, two different scoring drives of 15 and 14 seconds, respectively after first kicking a field goal that took the score to 27-13 with 6:43 left. Regulation ended in a tie and Frosh QB Chad Henne found Braylon Edwards multiple times, in regulation and OT, to finally beat Sparty, 45-37. Actually, I believe the final TD (or maybe it was the 2 point conversion) went to Tim Massaquoi...Sparty stumbles again and continues to lose that season...
2. October 1, 2005....Michigan heads to East Lansing to battle a -get this- 11th Ranked SPARTY team (When was the last time they saw an 11th place national ranking? Anyone? - my guess is 2005) . Sparty is heavily favored in the game and Mike Hart, Chad Henne and company destroy Sparty on the ground and kick the last second game winning field goal to send Sparty on a downward spiral for the rest of the season and finishes from that point forward with a losing record...
3. And Finally, let's not forget...November 3rd, 2007...Chad Henne and Mike Hart's senior season. Sparty is looking better, but a Wolverine is lurking. And then in the 4th quarter, Sparty is up (again) by multiple scores and they are congratulating each other with 10 minutes left saying, "Remember what it feels like to beat Michigan." Yeah, remember that for about 7 minutes because, again, Henne works his magic and the Wolverines manage a come from behind victory where Mike Hart reminds Sparty that they are, in fact, the "Little Brother". Dantonio makes the Bow Down and Kiss the Ring comment and, sadly, Sparty's hatred of Michigan grows a little deeper...



So, Sparty, while I should bash the crap out of you and your miserable 1-3 record, I simply can't help but feel sorry for you. No one knows how to lose a game in the final minutes with as much flare and panache as you clowns do...I will also add that the current history will NOT change and we WON'T revisit the 60's. In other words, no back to back victories for Sparty this year...Just a hunch.

No comments: