Monday, October 19, 2009

A Saturday of What Ifs?

Yeah, yeah, yeah…Michigan romps over a severely under matched team and looks decent in the process. My guess is we would have been better off scrimmaging our own defense and we would be better prepared for what were about to face this weekend. I won’t go into any elaborate detail…I am sure you’ve all heard by now that the 700+ yards gained on Saturday is a new Michigan record. Which is hard to believe when you look back at the 60 and 70+ point games from the 70’s when Michigan had their way with the little 8, but I digress…First blocked punt for a TD in quite some time. Congrats Brandon Graham. Everyone played and I think a water boy scored…

Somehow, this just doesn’t “even out” the App State debacle, but we won.

5 Left

With five manageable games left, I can see where we could potentially win all 5, or we could potentially lose all 5, with the exception of maybe Illinois…They just aren’t that good and Zookie will be gone at the end of this year if not sooner. I don’t see how he survives. Assuming you beat the Illini, that gets you to 6. Bowl Eligible. But is that enough? Is that what we were expecting with this new regime?

Nitt’ Cats are beatable in the Big House - we’ve owned them since they joined the Big 10.
At Illini in what will be their bowl game or save the Zook’s Job…should be a win…
Spoilers – This game makes me nervous now – not that it didn’t make me nervous before
Cheeseheads – Iowa handled them on the road, but they’ll be looking for revenge on us.
THE OSU – WE’RE DUE….Enough said – you know, my daughters can’t remember beating OSU? We need to fix that…

The Ledge

Michigan Reasons to put one foot on the ledge (no change)
1. Wisconsin, OSU Road – PSU this week…
2. Defense…
3. Purdue upsets OSU at home- we have them here. Are they getting better?

Michigan Reasons to leave one foot Off the Ledge:
1. Illinois – They should win but how can you be certain???
2. That get’s you to 6 wins. 7 would be more comfortable.

THE REST OF THE MESS

Before I get going, I almost titled this Monday “A Saturday of Charlie Weis’s”…meaning “Big Butts” but instead went with the “Saturday of What Ifs?”

1. What if ….Petrino let’s Mallet roll out in an option run-pass on the 3rd down and 4 with a little over a minute left in the game? Instead, they try to run and keep the field goal in play. Gatorland thanks Bobby and his ball less call.
2. What if …Bradford doesn’t go down in the 2nd series in the Red River Shootout? I guaranteed you that the outcome of that game is different.
3. What if …the Ole Ball Coach had SOME SORT OF OFFENSE to go with that defense that he has at South Carolina? Satan’s Warriors would still be crying today.
4. What if ….the Spoiler’s could have held THE OSU and pulled off the upset – OH WAIT! That one happened. As did the Colorado upset of Kansas – but the Jaywalkers were frauds waiting to be exposed…

But think about it: 7 of the top 10 teams were on the verge of an upset with lots of football left…Think that doesn’t put Boise State in the National Title Game? Who WANTS to see THAT????

RUBBERS at DOMERS (JEEZ I HATE THESE GUYS!)– Well, Domers, I was actually in a weird kind of way, pulling for you guys. I am tired of the whole love affair that everyone has with USC more than I hate you…Isn’t that a shame? I would almost rather see you win that lose? You know that USC must really be getting under my skin to feel that way. But, you didn’t win and the Wuzzles still doesn’t have that signature victory that everyone keeps talking about – so I’m happy…But he still has his waistline that he can live off of for a couple of weeks if he gets put out on the street by the unhappy rabble…Was the officiating in this game a LITTLE lopsided towards the Domers, btw?

SPARTY vs Purple Kitty Kats:
SOS was looking scary in the first half and I smelled an upset, but the Stallion rallied the troops at half time and found a way to pull it out at home..

Sparty One foot On the Ledge
1. 4-3 with 5 left…
2. Slow first half looked like SOS…
3. Purdue looks scary now…
4. True test this week with Iowa.

Reasons to leave one foot off the ledge:
1. Minnesota, Western should get you to 6 wins

THE SUCKEYES vs. SPOILERMAKERS: With 4 minutes to go I couldn't stop laughing...Sitting here typing this I can't stop the chuckles from coming to the forefront...Hee-hee...Ho-hee-hee.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH! I-hee-hee - don't know what to say about THE Suckeyes that they haven't already said...
Except that maybe we can help make this season even more memorable - er, forgettable for them than it already is?

RED RIVER SHOOTOUT: Damn. I was really hoping for Stoops and the Laters to pull off this upset. Texas just doesn’t look that good to me…And the Laters even had a new cheer that I thought would work….BTW, MMQ seeks expert at OU cheer – females only need apply…

CORNSUCKERS vs. TEX TECH: Uh-Oh…Those blackshirts might get black boxed and put away until next season. This wasn’t a loss that Pelini and the Cornsuckers had figured on….

GATORLAND vs. RAZORBACKS: Already commented on in the What If section, but I will add here that Tebow isn’t looking like the Heisman trophy winner right now. Effective, efficient, and capable, yes. Exciting and without a doubt the player whose highlight reel I want to see on Saturday night…No. Mallet, on the other hand, looks like a gunslinger with a chip on his shoulder. I like Arkansas in the games it has left. And I like them even more next year. Too bad we let that kid go. BTW, if I am Arkansas and I review some of the penalties in this game, well, it kind of makes me want to puke.

CHEESEHEADS vs. IOWA: Cheeseheads are frauds…Once again, it doesn’t pay to play a soft non-conference. Other than you get some wins out of the deal…So, who’s going to beat Iowa? Sparty? THE Suckeyes?

HOKIES vs. WRAMBLIN WRECK: Uh OH! I warned you guys last week. Don’t take the Yellowjackets lightly. Did you listen???? NOOOOOO…….

SATAN’s Warriors vs. OLE BALL COACH: Damn, Steve! I can’t believe that you don’t have one little piece of offense that works with that defense you have. One play and it would have been an entirely different game…

Idle Thoughts From Saturday

1. Why did we schedule this game? Anyone?
2. This is an embarrassment for Michigan and College Football in general…someone needs to make a rule.
3. If were not careful, we’ll hang 100 on these guys…
4. Hmm….Penn State comes in next week….Are we ready?
5. Michigan (traditionally) used to get better as the season wore on…This team, not so much.
6. If I was looking for a defense, I think I would start with either Satan’s Warriors or the Ole Ball Coach’s crew. They both looked impressive.
7. Do I care who wins the Red River Shootout? It didn’t seem to matter last year when Texas won and was denied…
8. If settling it on the field “doesn’t matter”, why don’t we have a play off?
9. Poor Bradford. Probably wondering how much NFL money he’s costing himself…
10. McCoy didn’t look that great either…Is this a nerves thing?
11. Can the Domers play a little defense?
12. WHO IS the Heisman front runner? I mean, I don’t believe the ESPN poll with Tebow. Desmond said he wouldn’t vote for him right now and I think that’s the way a lot of voters are thinking…Ingram of Alabama, maybe?
13. Is it Texas and Alabama in the National Title Game? Va Tech’s loss is going to cost them dearly…
14. Can USC sneak back in there with 1 loss?
15. Is Iowa now in the running for – dare I even type this – the National Title? Please….
16. BCS is out. Should we care?
17. At least bloggers are getting a vote and CBS is making it matter…
18. BCS Mess…BS Mess…BS…Oh God…Boise State could be in the Championship…Don’t laugh, it’s not only possible, but statistically speaking, probable. Why? No playoff, less chance of a loss on the remaining schedule…High Computer Ranking – yeah, it’s probable.
19. That last thought wasn’t on Saturday. It was after the BCS came out.
20. And everyone wonders why people collectively hate it.
21. Anyone see Touchdown Tom Brady’s 2nd quarter in the snow on Sunday? 5 TD’s…in one quarter. I had it on the Tube and was proud to be a witness…And Tennessee really sucks…

The Hot Seat



Looking for a Hot Seat Mascot this week, I was thinking about the whole Erin Andrews thing and I decided to dig a little deeper…You know, good investigational probing into the peephole incident and what not...What I found is that ESPN seems to do everything it can to show Erin’s natural assets…My guess still is they were tickled pink with the peeper and all the free press that it received…

Erin on the sidelines…..




And eating a poker chip? WTF...Someone explain this one to me if you understand it.


And a little late, but none the less HOT




HOT SEAT RANK
1. Zookie – I guess he’s here till season end.
2. Richy Rich – Georgia helped themselves, but still hurting.
3. Wuzzles – Creeping back up the ladder Charlie…
4. Bobby Bowden – Technically gone – We just haven’t started the gone list yet.
5. Rich Rod – Needs a “Signature”. Could get one Saturday.

GETTING COOLER

1. Ole Ball Coach
2. Al Groh…Going on annual run that saves his job….

THIS WEEK

THURSDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!

FSU at North Carolina…B. Bowden’s fate will get sealed is my guess

EDSBS (Every Day Should Be Saturday):

1. Michigan vs. the Nittany Lions – Big House Barn Burner!
2. SPARTY vs. Iowa – Can Sparty make the Big 10 a mess?
3. Gophers at THE OSU: Can THE Suckeyes bounce back?
4. PITT vs. SFU: Suddenly, a Weak East game that means something.
5. Georgia Tech vs. Virginia: Groh could win this game and throw the ACC into complete disarray.
6. Cornsuckers vs. Cyclones: This is a team that has always given the Cornsuckers problems…
7. Cremesicles at Satan’s Warriors: Hmm…..If Lane Kiffin was paying attention, The Ole Ball coach showed a wrinkle in the Satan’s armor.
8. BC at Domers: Look out! Domers could be letting down a little….
9. GATORLAND vs. MISSISSIPPIT STATE: Do you think Miss State is a little tired of the whole “Tebow lost the game” vs. Miss State winning it? Yeah, me too….This one might be closer than people think.
10. AUBURN vs. LMU: Rubber meets the road…Chizik has to prove himself sooner or later.

UPSET ALERT: Didn’t do too good last week – Domers and Laters let me down…But I like this week’s picks:

1. Michigan beats the Nittany Lions….Just a hunch.
2. How is LMU getting 8 from Auburn? At LSU? At Night? When wearing Purple and Yellow is your free pass to be intoxicated in public? Is this the Vegas gimme game? I like LMU at HOME….
3. Miss State getting 22 against Gatorland…has Gatorland beaten anyone “worthwhile” by 22? They might not win, but take Miss State and the points.
4. Okay Sparty – I like you straight up. Take down the Hawkeyes…

P.S. Aaron Shea fired back at Leach on WTKA and defended Carr...As did Glenn Steele. MY guess is there is going to be a lot of that going on. Which Carr could end if he would just come out and say that he supports the Rod. But, as stated before, my guess is he doesn't.

No comments: