Friday, September 14, 2018

The FMQ Week #3 - MMQ Where Are You???


I Hate When Work Gets In The Way - Redux
FMQ:  Hey, MMQ, where the hell have you been?
MMQ:  Well, I had to leave the city on Monday and head over to the Windy City on a business trip.  I was a late addition to the trip as I was substituting for another person in the office.  My original plan was to get to Chicago, park my butt on a bar stool and bang out the Monday MMQ report. 
FMQ:  What happened?
MMQ:  Ever come off the Sky-Way in downtown Chicago at rush hour?  That was my first bad decision…of many as it turns out
FMQ:  Okay, well, how long were you stuck in traffic?
MMQ:  About an hour and a half!  But then I realized I made a mistake and typed in the wrong address of the Hyatt I was staying in.  Long story short, you can’t swing a dead cat in Chicago without hitting a Hyatt Hotel of some sort!  (ed:  15+ Hotels in the greater Chicago area with the name “Hyatt” in the title!)
FMQ:  You Dumbass!  Are you telling me you showed up to the wrong hotel? 
MMQ:  (Sheepishly) Well…Yeah.  It was an honest mistake.  Twice!  I think I fat fingered the wrong hotel the 2nd time because I know I type the address in Google Maps right!
FMQ:  WHAT?  You went to the wrong hotel TWICE!?!?!?!?
MMQ:  Not Exactly!  The 2nd time I was a LOT CLOSER to where I actually needed to be!
FMQ:  Sigh…so what time was it when you got to your destination? 
MMQ:  8:30 PM local time. So there was roughly a delay of 3 hours in traffic and bouncing around downtown. I actually checked in to the Hyatt Regency Downtown (on Wacker)  and got to “The Big Bar” right about the time the Lions started their Monday Night Football Implosion
FMQ:  So what are you saying, exactly??  You got depressed or you couldn’t find it in you to write up the game? 
MMQ:  No, not quite.  I was actually watching the Lions like you watch an accident happening.  Had my computer with me, but I couldn’t take my eyes off that debacle.   It was like watching a snow skier wipe out and he keeps tumbling down the hill.  It just wouldn’t stop!!!
FMQ:  Allow me to repeat:  You didn’t have any time or make any time this last week to do a write up from the Western Game?  Tuesday?  Wednesday?
MMQ:  My Turn Smart Ass!  First, to answer your question directly: No!  I was busy every day with lectures and events that I needed to attend.  And Thursday was another travel day.  Secondly:  What exactly was there to write up?  Michigan destroyed the Broncos, leading 35-0 before the end of the half and held them to under 100 first half yards.  It didn’t get any better in the 2nd half.  I saw some good things and I also observed that Western wasn’t the domers when it came to their defense or their offense.
FMQ:  So, that’s it?  What about that Patterson TD to Collins? 
MMQ:  Well, yeah, I was glad to see a passing TD to an actual wide receiver.  The first passing TD to a WR since September of LAST SEASON.   I hope that’s not a trend.  Only throwing passing TD’s in September.
FMQ:  Wasn’t there anything else you observed that you can provide insight on?
MMQ:  Well, there was this:



Apparently doing the Crossword of the Day is acceptable when you’ve spent $65 for the ticket and you’re bored out of your mind with a 35-0 lead in the first half.  Oh, and I’d be remiss if I neglected to point out that this was spotted:
FMQ:  OK, that’s hilarious!!!  Just say NO TO MASCOTS!  And What’s with the Western Bronco fan with the flag?  Eh, ignore that question.  He looks drunk off his ass.  Actually, that’s a perfect picture for games like that.  I get it.  Boring as hell and all you’re thinking about is going back to the tailgate to sit in a comfortable chair.  But I think you’re just making excuses.  You could have found time.  I know you spent Monday night in the bar.  How many other nights did you sit on a barstool goofing off on your “business trip?”
MMQ:  UmmmmI don’t believe I have to answer that question.  What I do with my evenings on a business trip is none of this blog’s business.  I really don’t think that’s a fair question.  The MMQ doesn’t work well unless he believes he’s getting away with a little something at work... 
FMQ:  HOW MANY NIGHTS?
MMQ:  Well, I did accomplish this:


FMQ:  That’s what I thought!   Screwing around instead of getting something productive done.  LIKE THIS BLOG!
MMQ:  Hey!  Remember I’m THE GUY THAT STARTED THIS BLOG!  You came along a lot later.  You’re not even half my age yet!
FMQ:  So what!?!?!?  That means I can’t call you out for not doing your job?
MMQ: You can yell all you want!  If the MMQ is NOT INSPIRED by either the outcome of the game or the opponent played, he can’t be forced to peck away at the keyboard!  And that was NOT an inspiring game.  I mean, yes, it was a win, but it should have been a win.  You know something else?  I just looked at the SMU stats and they are actually ranked lower (statistically) than Western Michigan.
FMQ:  OMG!  That’s bad.  Are you saying what I think you’re saying?
MMQ:  I’m saying I’ll go to the game on Saturday.  Michigan should dominate, again.  I’ll be in the office on Monday.  Just don’t expect much of a game report for SMU either if the outcome is similar!  You know, HO HUM!!
THE FMQ
Well, I’m done with the MMQ.  If he can’t be counted on to do his job, screw him.  I don’t really need him much anyway.  Last week wasn’t too bad, but we still didn’t make any money.  The biggest and most disappointing loss was Michigan/Western not getting the OVER.  That would have been two big bets that would have come home…

Let’s see what’s on the slate for this week. 
On to this week’s picks:
LSU @ Auburn (-10.5  O/U:  44 ): This spread seems a little strange.  In what has become a budding rivalry of the perennial 2nd – 3rd – 4th place teams of the SEC West, it’s kind of a “Big Game”.   And the score of this game as of late has been less than a TD of separation.  I don’t believe for an instant that LSU is back to the point of being able to pull off the upset, but never say never!  I’ll take the points…
Take LSU and the 10.5 for $30
Take the UNDER for $25
Vandy @ The Domers (-14):  The Domers looked horrible against Ball State last week.  So bad, that there was a point in time where the game was in doubt.  I know, we’re talking “Michigan Let Down” after a big win, but the Domers should have looked better than they did.  Vandy is playing well this year.  I’m not saying Vandy wins, but they’ll keep it closer than 14.  I think….   
Take Vandy and the 14 for $25
Bama @ Ole Miss (+22.5):  This line has moved a lot…I don’t have any confidence that a re-tooled Ole Miss team can pull off this upset.  It is at Ole Miss and maybe there’s a chance that Ole Miss can jump on Bama early to keep this spread in check.  Or it could be another Bama route.  Still, someone is going to surprise Bama this season and, well, why not?   
Take Ole Miss and the 22.5 for $25
Miami @ the Gophers (-13):  Miami is not that good this season.  This spread jumped out at me as a little bit if a gift.  Not sure what Vegas isn’t seeing in the Gophers this season, but I’m seeing it.
Take the Gophers and lay the 13 for $25
THE Sex Toy University @ TCU (+13.5  MONEYLINE:  TCU +$400):  I was so taking THE Sex Toy University on Monday when I saw this opening spread.  But then I did some research and you know what I found out?  In TCU’s last 10 games where they are a double digit dog they are 9-1 ATS!  You know something else?  In 5 of those Double Digit Dog games, the Horned Frogs won the game Straight Up!!  That tells me Patterson is a really good coach when his team’s a big dog.  I’ll take my chances with those odds! 
Take TCU and the 13.5 for $50
Take TCU and the MONEYLINE for $10
USC @ Texas (-3):  This is an interesting spread.  It’s like the battle of the once great dynasties. Except it’s not the 2006 Rose Bowl.  Nope, gotta figure out who you hate LEAST in this one and go with that guy.  Neither team has looked impressive in any of the games they’ve played.  I’m going with USC as the lesser of 2 evils…
Take USC and the 3 for $25
Washington @ Utah (+6.5):  Kyle Whittingham getting points at home is a good thing.  Utah’s record as a home dog is impressive and I’m willing to bet that they keep that ATS number healthy when at home. I’m not saying they’ll win the game, but it’ll be close.
Take Utah and the 6.5 for $25
Mizzou @ Purdue (+6):  Purdue is 0-2 on the season.  I was going to lay off this game completely, but then I realized that there’s no way that Purdue goes 0-3 to start the season, right?  I mean, that just makes sense, doesn’t it?  Maybe they can keep it close.  They’ve lost 2 games by a combined 3 points…
Take Purdue and the 6 for $25
Georgia Tech @ Pitt (+2):  I have no idea what happened to Pitt in the 2nd half of the PSU game, but they clearly fell asleep.  Or maybe PSU is that good?  Either way, this is a weird spread.  I am not liking Pitt any more this season and they are becoming a play against, no matter what the spread. Some teams have that problem…
Take Georgia Tech and lay the 2 for $25
SMU @ Michigan (-32 O/U: 53.5)  So, SMU is a worse team than Western and this is a lower spread?  Someone in Vegas is doing too much math and not watching what teams are on the field.  I watched the SMU TCU game very closely.  Trust me when I say that the SMU defense is worse than the Broncos.  Trust me also when I say the offense might be WAY WORSE than the Broncos.  This could be another long afternoon in the Big House…    
Take Michigan and lay the 32 for $75
Take the OVER for $75
PARLAY!
3 Bet/Team Parlay:   6-1
LSU – TCU – Michigan:  $30
TOTAL BET:  $470
Bank:  $441.50
Etc
Devin Bush Hates LNU!
Like, surprise, right?  Everybody hates the green slime in East Lansing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would think that after 3 drunken nights in a Chicago bar, MMQ could come up with maybe ONE picture of a good looking, scantily clad woman. Nooooo, we get an old lady on a goddamn scooter doing crossword puzzles. Wow, how far the mighty have fallen........