Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Finally: Game Week!


Baumgardner over at the freep had a couple of good articles recently.  The first one is how this is kind of a “If not now, when?” season for Harbaugh and the team.  While I still think Harbaugh is “the guy” and he won’t leave for the NFL (kids in local school in Ann Arbor, Michigan WON’T Fire him), I do share the feeling that in year 4, Michigan needs to start righting some wrongs in the B1G.  Including winning the B1G outright. 

“We’ve got one shot,” junior linebacker Devin Bush, an All-American, says. “When the year’s (over), seniors leave, people leave. You’ve got one shot with this team, with this group of guys. You can’t miss.
“It opens your eyes. We have something special here, we need to make the most of it. We have to. We only get one shot at this.”  

“We have a lot of pieces,” senior defensive end Chase Winovich says. “It’s as perfect a storm as we’re going to get. You never know who might leave next year. I obviously can’t come back. Devin Bush, maybe he leaves. Rashan might leave. Maybe some others.
“We have to make the most of it.
In the 2nd article, Baumgardner predicts the 12-game schedule and has Michigan losing to Wiscy, LNU and THE Sex Toy University.  If that were to occur, this would be one disappointed fan.  I have more faith in the re-structured offense, the offensive line, the returning rushing game and, assuming he stays healthy, the skills of Patterson. 


Angel also made her game by game prediction and she at least had Michigan beating LNU...but losing to Wiscy and THE Sex Toy University.  FWIW.  

Tarik Black Out (Again Due) To Broken Foot…

This started out as a rumor (on Sunday), but was later confirmed by Nick and Angel.  Black broke his right foot in a non-contact drill in practice.  How long he’s out has not been determined.  (Actually, there are some rumor-reports surfacing that Black may be back by Week #10, assuming everything heals properly.)  Of course, the season could either be heading in a great direction or over and a medical red-shirt might make more sense…

Michigan football wide receiver Tarik Black suffered an injury to his right foot during the team's practice Saturday in Ann Arbor and the time frame for his return remains unclear. 
Black, who missed 10 games last season with a broken left foot, was expected to be one of the team's starting wide receivers again this season. 
"The Michigan football program announced that wide receiver Tarik Black sustained a right foot injury at Saturday's practice," Michigan football spokesman Dave Ablauf wrote in a statement Sunday. "Tarik is currently being evaluated and no definitive time frame has been determined for his return to play." 

And it really sounds like Black was ready to hit the field.  Below he recounts last season and how difficult sitting out was…It’s sad that injuries are part of sports.  You work so hard for a shot and then it’s simply gone

"That was tough for me," Black said earlier this week during a discussion with reporters in Ann Arbor. "I think I got off to a good start and thought we got off to a good start. I wanted to be out there to help my team, help my team win. I couldn't do that. 
"And that beat me up a little bit. ...  I can't wait (to get back on the field). I can't wait. I'm telling you, I really can't wait." 
If Black can't play, U-M will likely turn to sophomores Donovan Peoples-Jones and Nico Collins as its top outside receivers. 
Losing McDoom and Crawford now look like a LOT BIGGER deal than it did two weeks ago.  Still, I’ve seen and heard good things on Collins, so let’s keep our fingers crossed and not lose our minds over one injury.  I just hate that it happened to the same guy two seasons in a row.  So, DPJ moves up…Hopefully we get LESS of these types of lousy “rope” throws to a wide open Jones and more “Loft it up there and let DPJ run underneath” it type throws…Not to mention the fact that if Shea can find Perry on a regular basis....Look Out!


How big is losing Black?  It’s big…But I’m not ready to throw the entire season away just yet.  Having McElwain and Roundtree on staff to coach the receivers should help, also.  Not to mention they’ll have (hopefully) better passes to receive coming from Patterson. 

The Captains Named:  No Winnovich

I’m not trying to read too much into the captain selection/voting by team mates, but I was surprised to see that Winnovich didn’t make the cut after deciding to return for a 4th season.  


I mean, let’s face it:  Captains Bredeson, Higdon, Kinnel and Bush are pretty gung-ho and one for all - all for one type dudes.  But Winnovich also, in my mind at least, fit the mold pretty well.  Which tells me there’s a LOT OF LEADERS on this team! 

No backing down!!!

ESPN Staff Picks Final 4 And Champion

It’s no surprise that Desmond would pick Michigan, but several other ESPN pundits like the Wolverines, also.


That Todd Blackledge likes Michigan is telling.  Todd usually looks a little deeper than most of the other clowns that are just picking a “Me too!” line up of CFP teams. 

Meyer Finally Apologizes…But It Sounds Like a Lawyer Wrote It…

Again, my feeling on the overall situation at this point is whatever, but Meyer has attempted to restore some integrity to his name in this lame attempt.

“My words and demeanor on Wednesday did not show how seriously I take relationship violence. I sincerely apologize,” read Meyer’s statement.
Ohio State’s football program has “worked hard to educate and remind our coaches and players of the seriousness of relationship violence,” he continued. “I understand my lack of more action in this situation has raised concerns about this commitment."


The Mailbag…

So where was the poll to vote on the Hot Seat Mascot? 

Actually, I remembered after doing some research not too long ago that the blogger platform I use killed the side bar polling feature.  Kind of pisses me off.  So, if I conduct a poll, I’ve been informed there’s a way to embed a poll into the blog post itself.  I will investigate to see how difficult and time consuming it is. 

Yes – Deleted texts can be recovered.  If someone wants to dig.  Probably require a FOIA to be filed with their carrier...    

I figured that and it’ll be interesting to see who “scoops” the world and produces Meyer’s texts from September thru November of 2015.  If I had to guess, I’m betting McMurphy is already on it. 
 
ETC

Satan Not Naming Starting QB

So Stop Asking!  Satan more or less stated in his weekly presser that he was “Done” discussing the starting QB and that when he knew who the starter was he would communicate that to everyone.  Typical Satan….


I guess it cracks me up that more people can’t stand this guy.  He pretty much gets away with whatever he wants…

Different Store Fronts That Have Popped Up On High Street in Columbus      

Presented without commentary from loyal readers.  Thanks for all the messages! 
























And this T-shirt presented by Urban Legend himself!






Jemele Hill Canned From ESPN

Why THIS took so long is beyond me, other than she’s black and she’s female.  ESPN has been losing ratings at the fastest pace ever since 2014, and their political undertones have turned off a lot of viewers.  Hill’s numbers dropped where ever the network tried moving her, and someone finally wised up and said enough. 


ESPN is on shaky ground moving forward.  Being the biggest in an arena that’s changing as fast as sports viewing is probably not a great thing. The BTN, NFLN, SECN, and multiple other sports networks have chipped away at ESPN’s footprint and subscribers.  On top of that, $15/month on your cable bill just for the ESPN “Suite” of channels is insane.

ESPN needs to focus on the stuff that works and what general viewers want.  Stop mixing so much soccer into regular ESPN Sports Center broadcasts and dedicate a channel to soccer somewhere else.  Also get back to better coverage of everything else. 

No comments: