Monday, March 19, 2018

Wow - Is There Any Other Adjective?



I say this every year – This Tournament produces 67 losers and a winner.  Whether you like it or not.  And the winner is the only one anyone remembers
Sometimes, not even then. 
But when something like this happens? 
You’ll remember where you were and who you were with for a LONG TIME!!! 
I’m creating a poll and the fans and readers can decide:  Who did it Better?
Meanwhile, back in the bar….
Bartender: “Hey, 2018 NCAA Tourney.  How many have you had?”
2018 NCAA: “Why?  I feel greaaaaat!”
Bartender: “2018, I think you need to slow down.  You can barely sit on that barstool…”
2018 NCAA: “I’m as judge as a sober!!!  In fact, I wanna’ buy YOU a drinkie-poo!!”
Bartender: “That’s it.  You’re out of here!  I just called Uber.  Go home and don’t come back until Thursday!”
2018 NCAA: “But – but I thought this is what you liked and wanted?  Me doing insane things and ruining brackets and crushing March hopes and dreams???  You don’t like me anymore?? (sobbing a little) I mean, jeez.  I was just trying to be the life of the party!”
Bartender: “I just like you a little more when you’re not quite this tipsy, that’s all.
2018 NCAA: “Okay.  Well, I’ll be back on Thursday with bells on!!”
And that, my friends, is what is happening in the NCAA’s right now.  There’s absolutely no other reasonable explanation.  There’s nothing else you can say at this point to convince me otherwise.  
The 2018 NCAA Tourney is drunker than a skunk…
Some of the numbers:
1.    It HAPPENED!  136-1!!!  And it couldn’t have happened to a nicer team that was doomed to lose without a flexible offense or game-plan.  The UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) Retrievers took down the overall #1 Seed Virginia!!!  And it wasn’t even a contest. 
2.    IF you’d have taken the money line with UMBC?  A cool 20-1.  Seems like it should have been more…
3.    Bennet’s coaching style will be questioned until he wins the ACC next year and also wins the ACC Tourney.
4.    And gets a chance to repeat as the only 1-Seed to ever lose to a 16-Seed and has dreams crushed, again! 
5.    Michigan won ugly Thursday and every fan I think I know texted and complained about how bad they looked.  My collective answer to all of you:  So What?  They won, and that’s all that matters in March.  More on that in minute.
6.    Michigan is now the highest remaining seed on the entire left-hand side of the bracket. 
7.    Michigan is only behind Gonzaga (statistically) of the teams that are left in the West and South.
8.    (but Texas A&M scares the bejesus out of me!!)
9.    There are as many 11-Seeds alive and well as there are 1-Seeds
10. There has never been a 22-point comeback so Nevada crushing the final hopes of the final ohio school in the tourney is a first, also.
11. Texas A&M, a pre-season Top 5-10, CRUSHED the north carolina tar heels in convincing fashion and meet Michigan Thursday, riding an emotional wave.
12. Two 9-Seeds (First time ever) will play in the Sweet 16…
13. Loyola has a 98 year-old sister, Jean Delores Smith, that is their inspiration. 

14. The BFF (Boeheim F@#$%ck Factor) is IN FULL EFFECT!  Ask sparty about that one. 
15. Sparty – hee-hee….HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
16. Sorry about that, just tickles me to think that “The greatest coach of the best team in Michigan with 2 lottery picks is – get this – out of the Tournament!!!”
17. Was that LNU and Sex Scandal Karma for Sparty?
18. More on Sparty in a minute.
19. There’s a bracket out of 17M in the ESPN Tourney that has 15 teams correct out of the Sweet 16. 
20. I wish I was young and could stay up all night filling out brackets on ESPN.
21. There’s not a sober person who would have picked this Sweet 16 given 1,000 chances.
22. Sunday isn’t usually as upset ridden as yesterday was as teams see the first one and get a wake-up call.  Sparty (karma), Cinci(ohio), Xavier(ohio) and north carolina (karma) all went DOWN as favorites on SUNDAY.
A Brief Review of the Michigan Games:

They won 2 in the 1st weekend!!!  Survive and Advance!!
That’s really all I care about that this point.
The Houston Post-Game Press Conference:
Feel free to ask fans around the Water Cooler this AM about how they’re feeling about their current situation:
Sparty
Virginia
Unc
Xavier
Cincinnati
Arizona
Yep – any one of them would trade some “Ugly Wins” for what they’re looking at right now. 
Jeez – that group of teams would make a great “Loser’s Tourney”, wouldn’t it?
And some of you texting after both games (I can’t believe how everyone was complaining after a 14-point win) that if we “play like that again, we’re screwed!” are missing the big picture. 
MICHIGAN is still playing. 
When has a Beilein team ever let you down in March? 
They’re always in it, aren’t they?
Yes, Michigan missed free throws.  So did the other guys.  Game winners, in fact (Houston)
Don’t even get me started on the Refereeing in the Montana game. 
Beilein wasn’t pleased with the refs, either.   
Yes, there were HORRIBLE decisions made late in the Houston game by a few players…But the Man-Bun went down, anyway!!!
And then there’s Poole.  And winners find a way to win.
Maybe Michigan WASN’T deserving this time, but I want to take you on a little walk down memory lane, for Karma’s Sake (sometimes you throw the dagger, other times the dagger catches you right in the heart):
1.     Michigan vs. Kentucky (2014):  First, the MMPG’s Take from that loss and the highlight:
In my humble opinion, there was never a MORE DESERVING TEAM than Michigan in 2014.  They were one of the best statistical teams in the country and had a “Failure is NOT In Our Vocabulary!” attitude.  Though while that Michigan team was extremely deserving of moving on in the Tourney, Kentucky through the dagger that day. 
2.    Michigan vs. Louisville (2013):  As I recall, that was one of the few times that the ole’ MMPG was too crushed after a game to post about it.  I remember the Burke Block and the foul that wasn’t and other memories immediately come to mind.  Like this one:
And Watch Spike’s Story on The Journey….
All I can say is, we now know how Louisville won that game…
They cheated.   
Michigan Deserved to Win in 2013. 
3.     Michigan vs. Oregon (2017):  Here’s what the MMPG had to say…
Threw the dagger, missed the shot…
In Summary:  Michigan was deserving in all of those game and played more or less well enough to win.  Thursday and Saturday might have been ugly, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, Michigan’s got a little Ju-Ju Karma in the Bag!!!
Sparty Woes
I was going to make this a separate post, but there will be a lot more to post about this week. 
In the last three NCAA Tourney’s, Sparty has:
1.     Lost as a 2-Seed in the 1st round
2.    Was blown out as a 9-Seed in the 2nd round by Kansas.
3.    Lost to an 11-Seed play-in team (ranked #68) in the 2nd round
And Sparty has accomplished that feat with arguably the best talent in the state of Michigan and in the collective B1G.  So what isn’t the troll (Izzo) doing now that he used to do before or what are other guys doing better?
I have a theory:  I play a lot of poker.  When you’re playing in a cash game (think regular season) you wait for opportunities and look for weakness in players that you get to know over a period of time and you exploit them when the time comes.  When you’re playing in a poker tournament, that strategy doesn’t work.  Sooner or later you’re going to need to get in there and gamble, win or lose.
Izzo’s game control style and method during the regular season works great.  But in the Tourney, well, time has passed him by.  Better coaches have adopted the “house money!” attitude and let’s go out there, have fun and maybe make a little history!  Perhaps Izzo should come up with a new hair style for the Tourney?

Beilein, OTOH, is a riverboat gambler, plain and simple.  He keeps the team loose and has them believing.   That’s all you should care about in March.  You are what you are when it comes down to the fundamentals. 
Last Week, This Was Absolutely Music To My Ears!!!
TV Teddy OUT of NCAA Tourney – Will not Referee any games!!!
All I can say is:  IT’S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
I couldn’t name another ref (well, I mean, I can) but I can name another ref that has blown as many calls, insulted players and coaches alike, and still somehow had a job after all that. 
I am very hopeful that the B1G is DONE with this asshat and the ACC can have him.
MMPG’s Brackets (2)
How am I doing?  Not too bad, but I will be battling for the top spots with two other people in this pool that happened to think Michigan was a pretty good team, also. 

The MMPG’s alter ego for the pool is “Mr. Holland’s Opus”.  Cincinnati hurt a little a dropped me down further, but I have at least one side of my bracket that can still produce points. 

No comments: