Friday, March 2, 2018

Michigan Survives and Advances


First, thanks to everyone that texted about the refereeing.  How nice it was to have such a tremendous refereeing team in New York for such an important game!!!
I’m NOT a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that the referees must have been told by SOMEONE to call fouls on Michigan because they don’t want to see a repeat B1G Tourney Champion.  I mean, come on, Michigan’s TWO BEST PLAYERS foul out of the game when combined they haven’t fouled out more then 20 times…in their entire careers at Michigan – COMBINED!!!
Officiating Stats:
46 combined fouls
1 Technical Foul (Michigan)
Two Michigan stars fouled out with lots of time left in the game
Two coaches were so disgusted with the calls that they didn’t have anything left to scream about
I, on the other hand, was watching in a local watering hole and was screaming that I wanted to know who these officials were, what conference they were from and who hired them!!!
At one point, I was actually told by a stranger that I needed to relax and settle down:
 I wanted somebody’s butt and I wanted it right now!!!
“Well, that’ll just about cover the officiating!”
Okay – Deep Breath.  What was great about this game was that Michigan’s bench, Teske, Simpson and “the 6th man” Robinson figured out a way to pull this game out of the hopper, even after Simpson (and others) couldn’t make THEIR DAMN FREE THROWS (18 of 32 attempts) and the 3’s weren’t going (3-19) in till late.
Robinson’s made shots were HUGE and saved the day.  This team is A TEAM playing like a team and everyone picks up slack when they need to.  At one point, Teske had played so long that he looked like a lobster from the amount of heat that his body was generating for playing almost three quarters of the game (28 minutes).  If nothing else, this game showed us that life after “Mo Buckets” will be fine with Teske in the middle.  
I guess there’s a positive to ALL of this:  Moe and MAAR should be more rested as they spent over half the time on the bench of what was total game time (counting OT).  So, either this outcome or a total blow-out where the bench would have seen a lot of minutes is a good thing.  
Nebraska today is going to be tough on 24 hours rest, but if Michigan can get a few more 3’s to drop, I still think they can beat the Huskers. 
14-Seed Rutgers upsets the Gophers and came back from 18 down to beat the Hoosiers in last night’s finale.  The B1G has been exciting Hoops so far and I really hope it continues today!!!
The NCAA’s –Update and Insight
Michigan moves up to the 5-Seed line per Lunardi. Creating a very tricky 2nd round match-up with Texas Tech – if his prediction holds.  I know TT has lost 4 in a row, but not everyone on TT’s team was playing in those games.  Everyone will be back and healthy for the NCAA’s, I’m sure.  I’d rather have Arizona’s 4-seed of Gonzaga in the 2nd game.    

Palm still has Michigan on the 6-Seed Line…But when I compare Lunardi and Palm, they both have some explaining to do regarding their 5-Seed line teams, especially Gonzaga and their RPI (33) and SOS.  Anyway, I don’t think anyone really knows anything this season due to the discrepancy in RPI’s and everything else going on. 
Yahoo Sport’s has Michigan as the second 5-Seed and USAToday has them as a 6-Seed, FWIW.  So, seeing as how SIX is the number, some insight into 6 TEAMS in different categories that you may find helpful when filling out the brackets.

6 Favorites I believe you’re going to have to hold your nose and stick with the chalk for this Tourney:
1.     Xavier – I know they got blown out by Villanova.  But they’re a really good team…
2.    north carolina – As much as I hate to type this, they’re really coming together and will be a force to be reckoned with…
3.    Purdue – I know they have that lousy three game stretch, but this is still a very, VERY good Basketball team that can beat you a lot of different ways. 
4.    Cincinnati – Destroyed teams early in the season with defense and dropped a few recently, but this team can also score.  If you like Virginia, I think you have to like Cinci – or not. 
5.    West Virginia – Beats you up physically with their style of drive it to the basket.  Teams aren’t used to defending that….
6.    Witchy State – underrated and pissed
6 Teams who you may want to look at (based on opponent/seeding) for a Sweet 16 run in this Season’s NCAA Tourney:
1.     Michigan – Obvious Reasons
2.    Already Mentioned – Texas Tech.  When everyone is healthy, these guys are really good.
3.    Clemson – Plays excellent D and their offensive production is consistent…
4.    Kentucky - Playing better with Vanderbilt back…
5.    Miami – Can hang with anyone. 
6.    Tennessee – tough and hungry team
6 OVERATED Teams that you’ll want to think twice about taking to the Sweet 16:
1.    Virginia – spotty offense but stellar defense.  Virginia’s scoring average plummeted in the ACC.  Luckily, their defense kept them in a lot of the games they won.  Seeding will matter for Virginia and if they get matched up with a shooting team, could be trouble…
2.    Villanova – Can shoot the lights out, but when they can’t, they’re not that great.  I watched them destroy Xavier, but they made every 3.  I also saw highlights against Creighton and Seton Hall (Who almost upset them!!!), and they were pretty average…because shots weren’t dropping.
3.    LNU – (Sparty) Turnover prone.  If they get a defensive team in 2nd round, could be a problem.  Oh, and distractions.  I expect ESPN or Yahoo Sports to drop another sensationalized bombshell on Wednesday before the Tourney starts…
4.    Duke – Offense comes and goes.  VaTech isn’t a great Defensive team, but managed to shut the dookies down.  Based on talent alone, Duke should be a favorite to win the whole thing but I just dunno…
5.    The suckeyes – I’m thinking a lot of what the suckeyes did was overachieve this season.  They’ve dropped from the 4-Seed to the 5-Seed line and teams have figured them out.  And they lost to PSU twice!!!  The B1G Tourney will give us a better look at how far to take ‘em in the Big Dance…
6.    Kansas – I’ve said it all year, this isn’t a classic Kansas team, making me question the validity of the Big iiX altogether.  Could be a 1 and done during the 1st weekend. 
FBI Probe – SM calls “BS!!!”
Sean Miller came out and more or less said he’s 100% and completely innocent of the allegations that were made by Schlabach were completely baseless and totally untrue.  Here’s a link to the artice and his speech:
Schlabach came out on Twitter and emphatically stated that the information HE received was accurate, but went on to say that he never reported that the money was PAID, only that the discussion about the $100K took place. 
So, whatever.  This is turning into a circus and I have a feeling there will be a lot more coaches having to “Pull a Miller” before its all said and done.
The thing that bothers me:  If I had been accused of something I absolutely DID NOT DO, I would have had that presser 20 minutes after the news broke, and I probably wouldn’t have even checked with my bosses.  Miller waits 6 DAYS before this presser in which he declares he’s 100% innocent? 
Why the delay? 
Just wondering…
I’ll wait. 
The B1G and the BTN More or Less Screw Hockey
The BTN and Jim Delaney are really starting to piss me off.  I went through the website to see when Michigan Hockey would be televised this weekend and, guess what?  NO MICHIGAN GAMES ARE GOING TO BE TELEVISED!!!  Actually, there’s no Hockey televised at all (on the BTN).  Just BTN Plus, which, I don’t even know where to find that.    

WTF.  So moving the B1G Tourney to this weekend totally screwed up play-off B1G Hockey Viewing.  I don’t always tune into Hockey when it’s on, but THIS IS THE B1G TOURNEY FOR F@#$%CK’s SAKE!!  They could have at least shown the Saturday game, but are opting to show Women’s B1G Tourney Hoops instead.   I’d really like to see ratings for Women’s Hoops and Men’s Hockey and which one is higher.  I wonder if the BTN posts stuff like that – but I doubt it.  And isn’t Hockey considered a better revenue generating sport that Ladies Hoops?  I would venture that any sports fan would rather tune into Tournament Hockey instead of Tournament Ladies Hoops…

Play the games at different times or delay them or SOMETHING.  Unacceptable.
ETC…
Sent to me by a loyal reader.  I don’t get teachers in our society.  Teaching and coaching are meant to be noble professions.  Something you’d do even if you weren’t getting paid.  And this stuff happens…


No comments: