Thursday, November 8, 2018

The FMQ Week #11: Ho-Hum Dud Week: Thanks SEC

Coming to You LIVE from Carmel, CA!!!
The Mailbag, Texts and Tweets
You Didn’t Go To The PSU Game On The Third Leg of the Revenge Tour???
No, as previously explained, I made a flight reservation to leave Michigan on Sunday morning, thinking at the time it would be no big deal for me to get up after a home game.  Then, I really started THINKING about how I was going to feel if I got home at 10-11 PM after a full day outside and how I’ve felt in the past on Sunday’s after a game.  You get exhausted.  I was initially thinking I’d go, but then thought the better of it.  And all that traveling on Sunday (6:30 AM until 10:30 PM EST – it was a long day) allowed me to arrange a free day while here.  In fact, I’m writing this in a Carmel coffee shop and it’s a cool little burg/village if you ever get the chance to visit.  And I saw some great stuff on a tour from Half Moon Bay down to Carmel and back.  Some Pics:







What is “TUN” and why do you keep writing that?
TUN is an acronym coined by THE STU faithful and Woodrow Wilson Hayes reference to the “Team Up North” as he refused to mention Michigan by name.  All season records around THE STU have TUN instead of Michigan on plaques and in the history books.  The jack-asses even put it on their B1G Championship Rings.  So, I’m just taking it away from THE STU fans, just like the TUN is going to Columbus to take some lunch money back…With Interest. 



 I was looking at this week’s games.  They really do suck, don’t they?
Yep.  Thank you SEC for A.  Not playing 9 conference games.  B.  Not having a “run of games” up to the finale and C. Just being selfish and stupid.   Do you know that if you’re in the SEC conference there’s a scenario where your school can go 12 or 13 seasons – 12 or 13 SEASONS! – and not play a conference opponent??  Bama plays non-conference teams more often than that!  It’s ridiculous and the NCAA should step in or the CFP Committee should start punishing the SEC for the scheduling.
Arkansas
Opponent: Kentucky
Last road meeting: 21-20, Wildcats (2008)
Return to Lexington: 2019 (11 Seasons)
Auburn
Opponent: Florida
Last road meeting: 20-17, Tigers (2007)
Return to Gainesville: 2019 (12 Seasons)
Florida
Opponent: Ole Miss
Last road meeting: 30-24, Gators (2007)
Return to Oxford: 2020 (13 Seasons)
Why bother being in a conference if you’re not going to PLAY EACH OTHER????  Speaking of which:
Why did you text on Tuesday the CFP Committee better not leap frog Georgia over Michigan? 
As I was watching the selection show on Tuesday after seeing LNU try to come back against Kansas and completely and utterly FAIL at that test, I saw that LSU only fell to 7th after getting CLOBBERED by Bama.  I sort of panicked before the top 4 were revealed thinking the committee was going to reward the Dawgs for the clobbering they took at LSU.  I shouldn’t have panicked, but I will admit I did.  However, what you can glean from Tuesday’s rankings:  THE STU still only has one loss (as does WVU & WSU) and the Committee has made a very clear statement:  Michigan controls their destiny and is IN if they win out.  IF THE STU wins out, Georgia is PROBABLY in, assuming the Dawgs win out or even lose the SEC Championship.  At least, that’s the way the MMQ is reading it.
Did You See Book is OUT for the domers against FSU?
Yes, indeed I did.  And while I think – THINK – the domers can handle the Seminoles at home with Winbush, it does present a betting opportunity with the 17 points that the Seminoles are getting.  I’m still looking ahead to the Syracuse and USC games as the potential upset of the domers.
Uh-oh…losing battery….Gotta sign off.
Now Coming To You LIVE From Pebble Beach!
So, I moved venues and I’m sitting on a bar stool in Pebble Beach!  What a great location and what a great view! 

I had lunch on the deck and got some great pics and then decided to grab a drink at the bar, cause I figured, “How many times am I gonna’ get to Pebble Beach?”
And the bartender is a riot!!
I started a conversation with him and he started telling some GREAT stories.  He saw me typing away and asked me what I was working on.  I explained that I have a little blog and I was just goofing around.  When he opened up with, “So, can I tell you that Tiger Woods has sat on that EXACT SAME Bar STOOL that you’re sitting on?”  And I gullibly said, “Are you serious?  He really sat here?”  And the bartender said, “Well, I don’t know for sure that he SAT there, but if I told you that it would make for a great story wouldn’t it??”  I immediately saw where this was going
He had a bunch of stories including several from the Tuesday Night Party that happens before the Wednesday practice round at the Pebble Beach Pro Am.  These are player-celebrity ONLY with no press or pictures or NOTHING.  One story he told about Fuzzy Zoeller and Lee Trevino having a few too many and making several bets on the practice round the next day.  Once the wager got up to $100K each, Fuzzy said that was enough.  The next morning, they showed up on the tees and looked at each other.  Fuzzy said, “I know we made some bets last night, but I have no idea what they are.”  Lee replied, “Thank God I’m not the only one who can’t remember!”
Another story involved Bill Murray coming in about 15-20 years ago and taking over the place stating that the party needed to get started.  He started buying shots for everyone and was doing a semi-routine where people had to drink when he said certain words and if they forgot to drink when he said a word, they had to drink double.  Apparently, the bartender was pouring shots as fast as he could.  After about 45 minutes, Murray stated he was done and asked the bartender to cash him out.  The bartender said he had emptied about 25-30 fifths of booze and had kept the empty bottles on the back bar.  He said, “I know what we charge for a shot and just did a quick multiple. Then I just said to Bill, ‘Let’s call it $8,000.’  Bill, without missing a beat said, “So, I guess an autograph isn’t gonna’ cover that?”  The bartender said Bill cashed out and left him a $2,000 tip. 
Advice:  When you go anyplace like Pebble Beach, always check out the bar!  Best hour of my entire trip!!!
 THE FMQ
Northwestern and Fitzy is doing exactly that:  GIVING ME FITZ!!!!  The Purple Kitties hitting the NUMBER cost me not only that game but I would have won the parlay as well!  I hate Northwestern for so many reasons.  And they just keep coming. 

Lot’s of interesting games this week as I think there might be some “locks”?  We’ll see
On to This Week’s Games
TCU @ WVU (-11):  If you would have asked me to handicap this game at the BEGINNING of the season, I probably would have called it even.  But TCU has turned into a pretty average to awful team, another reason THE STU probably didn’t move up in the CFP rankings.  WVU knows what they need to do and won’t take prisoners this weekend.
Take WVU and lay the 11 for $20
Navy @ UCF (-27):  I know UCF is the darling of the little group of 5, but Navy is improving and proved that against the domers. And remember:  Academies have a tendency to cover big point spreads. 
Take Navy and the 27 for $20
Wiscy @ PSU (-9):  HMMMMMMM…  This seems like more of a single score game than a 2 score game.  Question is, which Wiscy team shows up?  Actually, how healthy is McSorely?  Which Franklin coach shows up?  Jeez…I don’t even know if I should bet this game.  Fliip a coin and
Take Wiscy and the 9 for $25
MSU @ Bama (-23.5):  This is a dangerous spread.  I can see MSU covering this.  I can ALSO SEE MSU getting blown off the field in Tuscaloosa.  The Bama fans should show up for this one as it’s the last decent game they’ll see until Auburn visits. 
Take Satan’s Warriors and lay the 23.5 for $50
OSU vs. Oklahoma (-19.5):  BEDLAM!  I usually like big point spreads in rivalry games, but the Cowboys have completely fallen off the face of the earth on offense.  And Lincoln Riley will be looking for style points after the close encounter with the Red Raiders.  I’m looking for an old fashioned butt whooping in this one…
Take the Laters and lay the 19.5 for $25
WSU vs. Colorado (+6.5):  Another team that is so unpredictable that they’re hard to bet is the Buffaloes.  They’ve been all over the map and are inconsistent as hell.  But I like the Pirate here as he has his team focused and they need a blow-out to even have a shot at the CFP.
Take WSU and lay the 6.5 for $20
Northwestern @ Iowa (-10.5):  This again seems like a really screwy spread.  The Purple Kitties are the WORST STATISTICAL TEAM in the West.  However, all they do is win.  Fitzy is giving everyone problems and I can easily see the Purple Kitties keeping this one close. 
Take the Purple Kitties and the 10.5 for $20.
Auburn @ Georgia (-14.5):  Again, Georgia needs style points, but this is Auburn.  Auburn is not a bad team and Malzhan just got the AD vote of confidence for 2019.  I think Gus might have a few tricks up his sleeve and nothing to lose. 
Take Auburn and the 14.5 for $20
FSU @ the domers (-17.5):  Book not playing.  Line didn’t move.  Hmmmmm.  That’s strange.  Does everyone think an off the bench Winbush will be just as effective?   I still think FSU can beat someone this season.  But the way they’ve looked, it’s hard to take them.  Still, that’s a lot of points.
Take FSU and the 17.5 for $20
Clemson @ Boston College (+20):  Always take Clemson.  Always take Clemson.  Always take Clemson.  And when you think about not taking Clemson, remember:  ALWAYS TAKE CLEMSON!
Take Clemson and lay the 20 for $50
The STU @ LNU (+3.5):  A Figgie and a hook.  Damn.  That’s about where I would have put this one.  THE STU has the weapons to beat LNU, but they certainly haven’t demonstrated it on the field.  I’m so tempted to take LNU here, but I don’t trust those clowns, either.  Flip a coin:
Take LNU and the 3.5 for $20
Purdue @ the Gophers (+12):  Jeez.  The Gophers can’t play defense and Purdue is still leading the B1G in Big Plays.  I have to go with the road favorite in this one until the Gophers and the Flecker prove to me they can play defense.
Take Purdue and lay the 12 for $20
Illini @ Nebraska (-16.5):  The Illini embarrassed a defenseless team last week.  If there’s one area where Nebraska has improved, it’s on Defense.  I think the Cornhuskers can get three scores of separation at home and hang on to cover.
Take the Cornhuskers and lay the 16.5 for $20
Michigan @ Rutgers (+36.5):  Two years ago, statistically speaking, Rutgers HAD A BETTER TEAM and got beat 78-0.  In 2018, Michigan is better and Rutgers is worse.  I think they need to have ambulances and blood banks prepared for what’s going to happen in New Jersey. 
Take Michigan and lay the 36.5 for $50
PARLAY! 
3 Team Parlay pays 6-1
Michigan – Bama – Clemson for $100
Total Bet:  $480
Bank:  $132

No comments: