Every Clemson Fan at 1:00 AM Tuesday morning:
Oh, what am I saying: The state of South Carolina will be drunk through the weekend with this victory! At least the South Carolina Fans that root for Clemson.
But I digress…
This should be a celebration of Clemson’s accomplishment and an acknowledgement that Dabo Swinney now has to be considered one of the top 5 coaches in all of college football.
Dabo’s favorite “Row the Boat” Saying is “Bring Your Own Guts”. And Watson did. Watson impressed the hell out of me last night in a way that he hadn’t done since last season. Mike Williams was also a beast and where ever he ends up playing on Sunday, I guarantee you the QB of that NFL team will be grateful they drafted him. I really thought it was over when Clemson only had 2:00 to get to field goal range or score the winning TD. I just figured they crumble under the pressure. But Watson told the huddle “Let’s be Legendary!” Man, I really have to take my hat off to that kid for having the guts to say THAT in the huddle. Not “We got this” or “Let’s do this”
“Let’s be Legendary!”
And they were! Watson drove down the field against a depleted Bama defense that was cheating as much as possible. And they even got a flag late which put Clemson 1st and goal at the 2 with 6 seconds left. And while every Bama fan on Finebaum will be whining about the receiver pick on the defender that wasn’t called, the play was pretty clean and Watson hit Renfrow (Who IS that little dude, anyway?) for the winning TD.
“Let’s Be Legendary!” You can bet that’ll be on a t-shirt or a big plaque somewhere on Clemson’s Athletic Campus. And if Dabo doesn’t use that for the rest of his coaching career to inspire players…Well, I’m sure he will.
I think Clemson finally showed up ready to play and they proved to the Nation that they belonged. (And I for one, wasn’t entirely sure given the loss to Pitt and near miss to NC State).
But it just goes to show you that the margins or edge that these teams in the top 10 in the country can be pretty slim on any given day. If there was a re-match next week, Bama has just as good of a shot at beating Clemson by two scores…That’s just the way it is right now in College Football. Play the full 60 minutes. Don’t give up and execute to the very last second.
A few are out there arguing that this is the end of Bama and Satan’s own hubris (firing Kiffin before the Championship) is what brought and will continue to bring him down…These are clearly people that do NOT understand what motivates and drives Nick Satan. He will be back with a vengeance next season. I pity the teams in the SEC. They really don’t stand a chance…
Early betting lines are out and of course, Bama is on top with the entire cast from last night returning, for the most part. A Complete list of odds:
Bama 3:1 (Who else?)
FSU 8:1 (Get this, but Jimbo really let fans down this season)
Oklahoma 8:1 (I don’t get this. Every year someone must lose a lot of money on the Sooners)
Suckeyes 8:1 (Don’t get this one either. They weren’t that good this year)
USC 8:1 (This one, I get)
Louisville 10:1 (This seems a little high….)
Michigan 12:1 (This seems a LOT HIGH due to who Michigan is losing…)
LSU 12:1 (Ditto. LSU losing a lot of talent this year)
Clemson 20:1 (Seems appropriate. Can Dabo do what Meyer did this year?)
Funny how the odds of winning a National Title seem to follow great coaching. If I had to rank or pick a top 5, The MMQ’s list would be (These would be coaches that if I had to trade for, I guess I could and not feel terrible about the deal, from a pure talent and ability perspective):
- Tie: Swinney - Satan
- Tie: Satan - Swinney
- Tie:Harbaugh – Meyer
- Tie: Meyer-Harbaugh
- David Shaw
And because some of you are going to bitch at me and say, “What - Where's "no D" Antonio?”, here’s the next 5:
- Jimbo Fisher
- Kirby Smart
- Mike Gundy
- Paul Chryst….Hmmm…Maybe Antonio ISN’T in my Top 10…
I only put Swinney on top today because he just beat his nemesis and also blanked Meyer in the game right before that. That’s saying something….And he’s still pretty young. Could he be the one to command the next dynasty? Who knows!!!
Hot Seat Mascot!
The VOTE IS IN!!!
Jade Bryce will adorn the MMQ side bar for the upcoming Basketball and Hoops Season!!!!
We’ll keep track of who’s gone as the season progresses….
- Miles and Cameron – LSU Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.
- VanGorder – Domer D-Coordinator.
- Ron Turner – FIU.
- Hazell – PURDUE!
- Tim DeRuyter – Fresno State.
- Charlie STRONG- Texas.
- Helfrich – Oregon. Saw it coming….
- Kevin Wilson – Indiana. Yes – this one surprised me but related to Player Safety and other issues. I know, not on the Hot Seat List…..
- Tracy Claeys – Minnesota. This was a must fire situation after the Title IX report was made public.
- Sonny Dykes – California. Making room for Chip Kelly???Electric Chair of Death Seat!
- Kelly and $warbuck$ - Till Next Season!!!
The Hot Seat – Beginning Next Season!!!
- Rich Rod – Arizona.
- Todd Graham – ASU
- Malzhan – Auburn
- Butch Jones – Cremesicles.
- Sumlin Texas A&M
- Muschamp – South Carolina
- Mike Riley – Nebraska
- Kirby Smart – Georgia.
- ANTONIO, MARK – Sparty
Short List of Available or Desirable Head Coaches
- Chip Kelly – You can BET that he’ll be back in college, just like Pete Carrol and Nick Satan!!! Will be a great hire for someone.
- Les Miles – AVAILABLE FOR HIRE. No one is beating his door down, however.
- Mike Leach – The Pac 12 is taking notice!!! I just see Leach at a bigger program eventually.And all the latest HIRED Coaches of HOPE and CHANGE!!
- LSU – Ogeron! Aleva figures as long as he’s paying Miles, he can’t afford another $5M Coach. He’ll stumble along with Coach O, but if Coach O falters in 2 seasons, he’ll be out of a job!
- Texas – HERMANN! Did anyone not see this one coming? Than you haven’t been reading the MMQ!
- Jeff Brohm – Purdue. Didn’t see this one coming.
- Matt Ruhle – Baylor. Former Temple Head Coach
- Willie Taggart – Oregon! AS the MMQ predicted!!!!
- Charlie Strong – USF. Replaces Taggart
- Indiana – Tom Allen – Never heard of him…..
- Cincinnati – Luke Fickell. Goodbye suckeyes….
- Houston – Major Applewhite. Not a surprising hire, but can he be a head coach?
- Temple – Geoff Collins. Gators Defensive Coordinator…
- UConn – Randy Edsall. Whatever…it’s Uconn…
- FAU – Lane Kiffin. Good Luck with that….
- FIU – Butch Davis. Guess he was tired of his gig on Sirius XM
- Fresno State – Jeff Tedord. Step down from California Bears….
- WKU – Mike Sanford
- San Jose State – Brent Brennan
- Nevada - Jay Norvell
- Georgia State – Shawn Elliot
- PJ Fleck – Minnesota. Should work out well.
- Jake Spivatal (?) - California. Interview in process….Why no C. Kelly?
The MMQ and FMQ (Don’t want to talk about it!) will return!
AS you know, I’ll be posting a bunch in the near future. However, in case you don’t have twitter or can’t follow on the side bar, JB pulled a fast one on Andrew Dockich during film session yesterday!!!