Thursday, May 20, 2010

Double Jeopardy?

The Detroit News ran the following report, which I will summarize:

Such penalties could include probation, a requirement reports be filed concerning the status of remedial actions imposed by the NCAA and limiting time spent at practices. While other sanctions are provided by the NCAA up to "the death penalty," a permanent prohibition from competition, a severe punishment appears far beyond the scope of the current allegations against Rodriguez.

Now, I'm just a cave man lawyer, but the above paragraph doesn't sound good. In fact, if they find ANYTHING at West Virginia - and God knows how much they love Rod there now and are probably bending over backwards providing the NCAA with every detail imaginable - Rod could be in big trouble. And it probably wouldn't have anything at all to do with David Brandon.

The NCAA could pull a Kelvin Sampson or, as Lynn Henning pointed out, MSU football head coach Denny Stolz. The sanctions against the individual would be so damning that it would leave the university no choice but to let the Rod go....And then where are we?

If this happens, and right now I'm in the camp that this is a big if and if the NCAA is going to come down on a little extra practice time and the actions of one graduate assistant working with players in the off season and call this a major violation, well, all I can say is USC better be banned from football for 10 years for some of the shennanigans they have been pulling.

However, I'm also a realist. I realize that this whole Rod experiment just might not work. But, strangely, I'm not blaming Rod.

My finger is pointed directly at Bill Martin. If he does his job better, none of this would have happened. Too much business, not enough attention paid to actual coaches and sports. Lloyd and all the love I had for him had too much free reign.

But, I digress. Let's see what develops.....

No comments: