Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday Round-Up, Mailbag & More


Happy June!  And can someone tell me where May went

Holy Sh@%#t It’s Christmas!!!

I sometimes think of this song when I hear really good news!!!  I dare you to listen and not think about it next time you hear something really surprising that makes you feel good!!


Yep – Slip that one into your Christmas Holiday Music Selection and watch the reactions!!

Anyway, that’s how I felt on Wednesday when I heard these two items, almost announced at the same time!


When the news that Matthews would be back hit, more news on Jalen Wilson (recruited by Kansas and UCLA) committing to Michigan happened on the SAME DAY!!!


Yes, College Hoops excites me as much as Football when Michigan is doing this well!  Michigan is now FAVORED to win the B1G (which – is that bad news?). 

Ward Will Return To LNU

In what can only be described as a confounding move, Nick Ward will return for another season.  I say confounding rather than confusing as Ward appeared to be an easy NBA pick-up from a team looking for a utility player with size.  And seeing as how LNU has moved toward the 1 and done model, it was easy to figure Ward would move on.  And the fact that he was more or less benched in the 2nd half of the Tourney game against the Cuse made it even more likely that Ward would bolt. 


Now, LNU will be another “favorite” to win the B1G. 

Michael or LeBron???

So this was a thing the other night as I watched LeBron win a Game 7 with a bunch of friends and the question was:  Michael or LeBron??

I of course am of the age to have seen both play, in real time and not on YouTube Video re-runs.  Today’s younger generation only knows LeBron.   There was a young person in the room and they stated that LeBron’s legacy certainly had to be greater than Michael’s due to the fact that he has more NBA finals appearances and has accomplished that feat with less talent surrounding him than MJ had.  He also argued that the NBA has changed in 20 years and that winning consistently is not as “Easy” as it used to be.  (So – again, tell me how were seeing the GSW and the Cavs in a 4th NBA FINALS if it’s not as easy????).

My argument was (and still is) that Michael won against WAY BETTER Competition and could have probably won more, had he not been playing against the GREATEST TEAMS from Boston and Detroit in the Eastern Conference.  I will say that the Bird/Thomas teams were arguably in the top 10 of the NBA’s greatest franchises/teams of all time.  I can count another two NBA Finals appearances for the Bulls and possibly another Championship had Boston and Detroit not been in the picture.

But I’ll say this:  If LeBron can put the same magic on the floor against what is probably the best collection of NBA talent that plays for the GSW, than I will definitely consider the fact that LeBron might be better than my current NBA GOAT. 

Which is MJ.  Until then, leave it alone.    

Chip Patterson On Shea Patterson


It’s weird that I’ve posted two things by Chip Patterson within a week of each other.  But he interviewed Shea Patterson regarding his time at Ole Miss.  

"I love Coach Freeze, but I just wish things had gone differently," Patterson told ESPN's Edward Aschoff. "That ultimately affected us as a team. We could only keep it together so much."
Patterson also said that Ole Miss led him to believe that there was "no way" the Rebels were going to receive a bowl ban for the 2018 season after the school self-imposed a bowl ban for 2017 in the wake of the NCAA's investigation into violations by the football program.

Mailbag, Texts and Tweets

I have been advocating boycotting certain channels on TV.  ABC/TBS are both on the list and I received a social media message from SuperFan stating:

Russ:  Unfortunately - We may need to add ESPN to your list.

While I get that, I started thinking about how much I watch ESPN and ABC (especially in the fall and have determined that I will flip even more often than I do to NOT WATCH THE ADVERTISING and boycott anyone who is advertising on the networks.

I just can’t boycott the channels entirely.  I’m weak that way….

More LNU Feedback!!!

And this e-mail response from a newer loyal readet to last week’s jab at LNU and the individual that claimed I was taking the LNU thing “too far”. 

(Copied and edited for some language)

In regard to this Knob:
This reminds me of the joke about the young guy that wanted to be a Pirate.  He went to the dock, got accepted on a ship and set about learning the way of the Pirates.  Into the journey a while, he had cravings, like any good young lad.  He asked around a bit and was told to go stick his “junk” in the barrel under the main mast and he would get a knobber.  This went on a few weeks until one day he poked his wiener in and nothing happened.  He pulled it out, reinserted it and nothing.  He knocked on the top of the barrel, nothing.  Finally, he asked the guy behind him what the deal was.  The old, salty Pirate looked at him and said “It’s your day in the barrel, Mate”.

IT IS LNU/MSU’s DAY IN THE F’ING BARREL.  GET OVER IT, GET USED TO IT, QUIT ACTING LIKE ABUNCH OF PUSSIES,  GET IN THE F#$%KING BARREL.  300 ABUSED YOUNG GIRLS.  HE’S ON A PAR, OR ABOVE, JEFFREY F’ING DAHMER.  AT LEAST HIS VICTIMS DID NOT HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS ALL THEIR LIVES. 

So, yeah, I’m not the only guy PISSED OFF with LNU!!!
ETC
As A Poker Player, This Is a Great Read!!!

I was surprised this article didn’t mention “Cada’s Room”, which he opened just off M-59 In Shelby Township right after he won the WSOP.  Unfortunately, Cada’s Room had to close after they were caught repeatedly serving minors. 

But what was cool was that on certain nights, Joe Cada would come in and play the lower limits with the regulars as a way to get people and poker players in the door.   Yours truly actually won a pot off Joe the old-fashioned way:  I caught him in a rather elaborate bluff and called him down. 



No comments: