Friday, June 8, 2018

Flanagan Wins 10K, Beilein Stays and MIS Memories


Michigan’s Ben Flanagan Shocks in the NCAA 10,000 Meter!!!

The Highlight Video!!!


The Celebration!!!


Michigan Senior Ben Flanagan wins the NCAA Championship in the Men’s 10,000 Meter!!!!


For those of you that don’t know, the 10,000 meter is about a 6-mile race and it takes a unique athlete to run that race.   It’s definitely a “Tweener” race as full out marathoners or distance runners don’t have the “kick” for it and middle-distance guys don’t have the lungs for it.  Every distance guy thinks he can run it, until he runs into a guy that can sprint after 5 and ¾ miles!!!

Flanagan's senior year included All-America honors, a regional title in cross country and a Big Ten championship in the 10,000 meters — and now the Holy Grail, a national championship.
"I just started freaking out," he said of crossing the finish line. "I can't believe it actually happened."

Watching Ben Kick on that final lap is absolutely amazing!  Steve Prefontaine images definitely came to mind watching Ben win in Oregon!!!





Please God No…Not Like This

Editor’s note:  This was written on Tuesday and Wednesday when it looked like there was a real possibility that Beilein might be going to the Pistons.  We all now know that this won’t be the case, but I’m posting this anyway….


This article made me ill as it sounds like something I could have logically put together.  However, based on the fact that I can’t look at Beilein being lured away by the pros objectively, I just keep sticking my head in the sand saying, “Go interview Izzo!”  I mean, Gores is an LNU grad and Izzo’s been looking for a pro gig for like, forever.

This is what started to make me nervous:

“I think it’s a real possibility. It would be great for both if it happens,” ESPN analyst Dan Dakich told The Detroit News. “For the Pistons, they get a guy who’s comfortable coaching anybody. They get a guy who has put a team together of young guys.
“John is one of the best at making the right pieces fit.”

And this didn’t help:

“When I first heard (of Beilein’s interest), I went through the scenarios in my head,” Tim McCormick, a former NBA player and current ESPN analyst, told The News. “That was a thought that popped into my mind. All coaches (want to see if) they can coach at the highest level. He’s a wonderful offensive coach.
“He can make the adjustment.”
No, no, no, NOOOOOO!!!!!

Well, maybe that’s why Beilein went out and found Yaklich.  I mean, I could sort of see him becoming the guy at Michigan and he’s a great defensive mind…But I truly believe Beilein and his approach with all different players and getting everyone into the same mindset is key. 

He’s the Glue and the Grease.  Or in this case, the Maize and the Blue.

What’s even more disturbing (and logical – I’m letting my mind go here) is that Beilein has a lot of talent in the NBA that he knows and could probably get to come to Detroit.  It would be like putting the band back together, only at the next level.


Now, I’m not saying that an All-Beilein Reunion Team would have a shot at an NBA Title, but I’m certainly not going to say there’s not a chance in hell that they could pull it off. 

Knowing Beilein…Yeah, he could do it.

And now we know this to be true:


And The Hits Just Keep On Coming For LNU


Under the category of “You can’t make this shit up” or “Don’t think it can get any worse?  Hold my Beer”, LNU now has a physics prof that likes to engage in sexual contact with his pet Basset Hound dog.

What puzzles me is how they somehow managed to figure this out?  They’re must have been someone that tipped off the authorities and they investigated and discovered evidence and made the arrest.

So add bestiality to the list of interesting university higher learning stuff at LNU.

Gotta’ Point This Out – Calling Out Michigan

The University of Michigan now employees 100 administration people who operate under the title of “Diversity”. 

In total, the budget allotment for this group is $8.5M, with the highest paid director making close to $400K annually.


The University of Michigan Army of Diversity


And what do they add to the University’s Bottom line?  Nada – Zip -Zilch – Zero.  And what “Exactly” do these people do besides run around telling people to be “Diverse”???

It really grinds my gears that part of everyone’s tuition goes towards paying for something like this. 

It should be an outrage. 

I am long past the fact of understanding that higher education is a sham furthered by corporate need to have “college educated” people working for them.  Give me someone who’s willing to work hard, set goals and complete projects and I’ll train them to be what I want them to be.

From the Article:

If you fell out of your chair upon realizing that the University of Michigan has a full-time diversity staff of nearly one hundred employees, one of whom earns more than the president of the United States, you can be forgiven. I nearly did too.

We’ve previously noted that the diversity movement is taking on certain aspects of religious faith. It appears, however, that we missed a similarity: Like the priests of ancient Egypt who amassed huge fortunes for themselves and the medieval popes who sold forgiveness and indulgences, the diversity faithful have found profit in their beliefs.

In many ways the modern American university resembles the medieval cathedral - something that began as beautiful but became a monstrosity when its true purpose was lost.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

ETC
Good Article!!!
Growing up a mere 5 miles from MIS offered me a lot of opportunities to go to time trials and races.   I’ll never forget telling my old man about “Some grey-haired guy” that used to come around and hand out free time trial and race tix to all the tourist trap employees in the area.  (I worked at Mystery Hill as a Tour Guide).  My dad happened to be there one day when the guy showed up in a powder blue station wagon with tickets. 
The guy:  Roger Penske
I was a kid and didn’t know anything then!!!  Anyway, say what you want to about stock cars, but they looked slow and boring compared to the open wheel Indy Cars that would light up MIS with speeds exceeding 200 mph!  (There used to be a rumor that the stock cars actually took the rear brakes off the car to lighten the load as the stock cars only needed brakes when they went into the pits.) 
But the open wheel races were awesome!!  Those were the races to go to. 
Anyway, I believe I attended the race referenced in the article in 1984 when Andretti beat Sneva by a nose.  Great race!!!
Throw Back Friday!
My old track coach has been going through his files and reached out to get my address.  He sent some photos that really took me back.  Can’t believe I was that young, athletic and in shape!!!


I’m the guy on the left kneeling with the 1983 State Meet T-shirt. 



“Don’t Stand Up Out of the Blocks, Holland!!!!”

No comments: