Friday, May 18, 2018

Friday Round-Up: Nassar News, Patterson For Heisman, Over/Under Season Wins, More


Received a lot of good feedback from you regarding my last post about Art Vuolo.  I actually had a chance to have a longer conversation with him and he has some great stories.   They are more talking stories and some of it would not be blog type of stuff….

But if something ever comes up, I’ll be sure to add some of them in here…

Don’t Forget:  Softball Regional at NOON today in Ketucky Against The Domers!

The Softball team kicks of the NCAA Tourney against the Domers today.  I’ll be sneaking peaks on line and following the action.  Michigan split with the domers earlier this season. 


LNU Settles: $500M To Pay Off Nassar Victims


This grinds my gears to no end.  Compared to PSU, LNU got off easy.  I believe the PSU penalties and payments averaged around $3.5M per victim.  Not to mention the $60M the NCAA Fined them... If I do the math here, after legal fees, the victims are probably going to net less than $1M.  I’m not a victim advocate or anything, but I would be even more angry if my 12 to 16 year old daughter had been sexually penetrated by this sicko and all she was going to see was less than a million.  

In addition, somehow, some way, every Michigander is going to feel this pain.  I just know it…  The money needs to come directly out of private donations or the University’s endowment.  That’s it.

Engler keeps shooting his mouth off with tuition and taxpayer dollars covering this penalty.  But the Michigan state legislature is going to push back really hard and may even introduce a law that states that Universities are on the hook with they have a penalty that is a direct result of negligence or lack of institutional control. 

A loyal reader of the MMQ came up with an idea to make T-shirts with “Larry Nassar University” printed on them and sell them around Ann Arbor and the rest of the B1G so the fans have something to wear to egg on the visiting fans when LNU is in town!!!

Why Not????   Some examples:

Standard Clean Family Version


LNU State Penitentiary Orange


Slightly more adult version with one of the generally accepted emoji’s representing the female anatomy….


Internet adult version with common keystrokes representing female anatomy….



The Order Form - $6.15 Each….

Hmmmm……Yep.  I bet I could sell these for $20 a pop at the tailgate, easy….and then go down to $10 if sales slow down!!!

Bill Connelly kicks off his college football SP+ ranking for 2018 

Michigan falls to number 10 on the list…


Shea Patterson 3rd in Pre-Season Heisman?


I have NO IDEA where or how this is a thing.  Patterson was 3rd best in the SEC last year.  I don’t know how moving to Michigan, learning an entirely new offense that he may or may not be suited for and learning new players moves him up to 3rd on the list.  Yeah, I know about the 7 games with over 300 yards passing and half of the time he was improvising. 

Again, I’m OPTIMISTIC.  I’m just losing a lot of my crazy, I guess…Chase Goodhead is the writer (never heard of him) and he has Will Grier (QB – WVU) and Bryce Love (RB – Stanford) ahead of Patterson. 

I mean, I’d TAKE it, but I sure wouldn’t be predicting it.  Not until I’ve seen him play in a Michigan uniform. 

This article has several sportspooks (off shore) that have Shea at 16-1. 


Jake Fromm, Georgia QB (10/1)
UGA has five-star freshman Justin Fields ready to go in case Fromm doesn’t play well, but he’ll probably play well and stay secure in his job.
Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama QB (10/1)
The oddsmakers think Tagovailoa will be Bama’s starter, evidently.
Khalil Tate, Arizona QB (14/1)
The most electric player in college football, now that Lamar Jackson’s in the NFL? Probably. And Arizona could be good enough for Tate to stay in the conversation.
Shea Patterson, Michigan QB (16/1)

Eligible immediately after transferring from Ole Miss, and really good. Patterson’s transitioning from more of a spread offense to a pro-style look, but his talent and Jim Harbaugh’s QB-coaching ability should make this work

Michigan’s Over/Under Is 8.5

Over/Unders for regular season victories are out for all D1 Football teams.  Michigan checks in at 8.5, which, while I was studying the schedule the other day and looking at Connelly’s summary, I was thinking that 8-9 wins would be the “Expectation” with the ceiling at 11 and the “what are we going to do about Harbaugh” at 7.  Maybe I’m being a little toooooooo pessimistic, but with the road schedule, Wiscy and Nebraska on the cross over, I just don’t know man.  I just don’t know….

So, right now I’ll wait a little bit before I wager on the 8.5 number. 

Warde Manuel Contemplating “Lifetime” Contracts for Beilein & Harbaugh


I guess this is a good thing?  I mean, right now, JB can do no wrong, but a year and a half ago a lot of people (not this guy) wanted Beilein gone.  He had an injury riddled line-up and missed the tourney.  I didn’t think it was fair to be on his case then and I still don’t so I really don’t have an issue with the Beilein Lifetime.  Which, in reality, is probably only 5-10 years anyway.

Harbaugh, OTOH, still hasn’t “Gotten it done.”   While I understand all the reasons behind it, I think the 7 year deal is fine and he really doesn’t need to address a lifetime contract at this point.  I’m gonna guess and say that’s a deal Jimmy wants in order to keep everyone off his back about moving to the NFL, which seems to come up in the annual NFL coaching carousel.  Jimmy, I’m sure, is sick of that.  The Lifetime would at least rid him of that headache. 

No comments: