Friday, May 4, 2018

Friday Round-Up


John Bacon Book Excerpt

Believe it or not, I remember reading this article in 1996.  It’s as good today as it was then.  Do yourself a favor over lunch and reminisce about the Ole Ball Coach!!!


A Short List of Links to Folks That Are WAY More Optimistic (And Demanding) Than The MMQ!

Maize And Brew Stating Championship or Bust!


I get that it looks like (on paper) this “HAS TO BE THE YEAR” for Michigan, but I’ve been around, ya’ know?  Injuries and other bad luck ju-ju can mess things up very quickly.  But Michigan, as stated before, is due for some Karma. 

Heismann Winner Woodson Guaranteeing Victory in Columbus

Uh….Charles?  I wouldn’t have done this…But again, hey, what do I know?


Baumgardner Rounds Up the QB’s

Milton Can THROW the Ball 85 yards!

 I can’t even comprehend that number….


Regardless of who starts, Michigan’s suddenly very deep at QB.  What a difference 3 years can make!

How Did I Miss THIS???  Les Miles Has Taken Up ACTING!

I catch pretty much everything, but this little item slipped through the cracks:


And these aren’t all cameos!  In the spirit of Senator Fred Thompson who acted for multiple years while being a US Senator, Les has found a 2nd career.   Les had to obtain a SAG card and everything!  He’s got a Major Role In “Angry Men” due out in 2018 about an Engineer that tries to stop the launch of the Space Shuttle that fateful day.  Les plays Nelson.   Someone in Hollywood is thinking as there are THOUSANDS and maybe MILLIONS of CFB fans that will go see Les in anything.  Just to see what he’s doing and how he does it. 

Still don’t know why someone hasn’t taken a flyer on the Mad Hatter with all the success he had at LSU and OSU. 

Someone still might, but it’ll be a move of desperation. 

Feedback, Texts, and E-mail….

What the Hell, MMQ:  You’re the most optimistic guy I know!  Defense returning 9 starters from a top 5 ranked D last season!  Tarik Black healthy and Peoples-Jones BACK for Patterson to chuck ‘em to!  IF running game keeps defenses honest and Patterson is somewhat effective, isn’t it “SKY IS THE LIMIT” TIME in 2018????


Well, yeah, assuming ALL OF THAT.  Look – I was EXTREMELY optimistic last season and then…well, last season happened.  In 2016 I was EXTREMELY optimistic and then Newsome, Iowa and the suckeyes happened.  Can’t a guy just sort of wait and see how things progress?  I’m also a schedule nut and believe me, Wiscy, LNU and PSU all in row (wiscy and PSU at home) ain’t going to be cake walks, either.   McSorley is back at PSU and Wiscy is Wiscy.  And LNU returns Lewerke and Scott which will be difficult, but if the Defense is as good as usual, should be manageable. Plus opening up in South Bend sucks.  First game is the first game and you never know what you’re gonna’ get.  Michigan managed the Gators last season until the Gators were revealed to be not that great.  And I don’t need to mention the Horror.  So, cut me a little slack and reel the expectations in a bit. 

Also – The gambler in me KNOWS that winning them all is pretty tough…As I’ve stated previously on multiple occasions…

Which is the harder game:  Opening with the Domers in South Bend or finishing with the suckeyes in Columbus?

IMHO, the suckeyes will ALWAYS be the tougher game as it’s the last game of the regular season and lately (4 for 20) the suckeyes have owned Michigan.  I do believe that the scales are about to tip back in the Wolverines favor, but they have to do it.  With respect to opening with the domers (JEEZ I HATE THESE GUYS!), Michigan has managed it before.  I just wish there was a tune-up game before having to go to South Bend.  But its there first game, also.  So, that’s sort of even or fair, if you will.

Do you think Newsome will return?


Good question.  In a story that has a shot for a top 5 ranking under the category of “the scariest college football story over the last two seasons” (and there’s a LOT of them), Newsome discussing his ordeal of nearly losing his leg, 38 days in the hospital and 6 surgeries in 40 days is something that is frightening and inspirational at the same time.  For ANYONE to want to go back and play the game after that type of ordeal is incredibly courageous.  But love of the game is a powerful motivator.  I hope he can fulfill his dream and come back, but I also know how doctors think.  He may never get cleared to play...Just sayin’.

ETC

NBA Play-Off Thoughts…

Is it just me or is the NBA turning into “Soccer on Wood”?  I’ve seen more flopping in the play-offs this year than I think I’ve ever seen in the past.  What happened to just good old fashioned hard nosed hoops by grown men?  I’m tired of the whining to the refs and guys looking and playing, dare I say this, wimpish. 

Washington Redskin Cheerleaders Pose Topless!

Thumbs up, I guess??  Not sure how this happened or why it wasn’t a volunteer activity!


No comments: