Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 3 of the Michigan Free-Press Expose

I thought I grilled the FREEP pretty bad, but here are other maintstream and not so mainstream news media and bloggers that had a whole lot more to say.

I think they are all worth a read, but the Genuinely Sarcastic goes on a little long.

John Chait - click here. - This one is by far the best and gives a real news person's first hand account of what the FREEP did and why it was so wrong to let Rosenberg write the article. I think he hits the nail right on the head and the FREEP should respond as to the ethics and policies used when judging the newsworthiness of a story, it's source, and whether or not a columnist should actually report an investigative study.

Adam Rittenberg at ESPN - Doesn't come right out and say that the FREEP article was groundless, but certainly alludes to the fact that there aren't many facts and the information is hearsay from disgruntled players.

Genuinely Sarcastic is long, but he makes a great point near the end and I will paste it here to give him full credit:

"One man could make this better. One man who I hope realizes that while this is a direct attack on Rodriguez, any damage done to him damages Michigan. If that is as sacred as it is made out to be, then it's time to speak out. Unless it turns out that this is not about "Michigan", and another agenda comes to light. I choose to reject that, because I view him as the rest of you do: a man of honor, of integrity. So I ask, with my hands outstretched, and I plead: when Michigan Football needs you, where are you, Coach Carr? As Bump Elliott once aided his successor, your great friend, will you rise and help your successor when he needs it?" - GS

Bo had the support of Bump. What's with Carr? Is he really staying out of this because he's the leak that GS referenced? Are the former players going to him and is he telling Rosenberg where to go to get the stories? IF that is true....Wow. My opinion of Carr was once so high, but the picture GS puts together is compelling and thought provoking- and makes we want to reassess Carr at this point - especially if he doesn't speak up. You have to read the entire GS link to understand the position, but, like I say, it is compelling thought.

I honestly believe that after a couple of weeks, this is going to amount to much ado about nothing and actually give Michigan some much needed recognition for being above board and managing a big time program in accordance with NCAA rules. The NCAA may be chastised for the rules reading the way they do, but I don't think we're going to see any serious infractions or penalties result. But I could be wrong and if I am, well, there's a long laundry list of schools that I would like to see Snyder and Rosenberg go write for and leave town.

C' ya.

No comments: