Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cut The MMQ a Little Slack

Jeez, yes, I hear you.

The Slappy Michigan Monday Morning Quarterback is Back! But, I mean, do you KNOW what we endured last season as Michigan Fans? 3-9? Are there any other tradition and history laden programs that had to endure what we did in 2008? Domers, go away, your program doesn't count...

Believe me, I know this team needs a defense. And without one, I am still holding on to my prediction that a 5-7 season might be lurking out there. The Big 10 is still the Big 10, folks. I'm a realist with a whole lot of optimist inside just looking for a way out.

So while I may suggest that we will be playing on a New Year's Day Bowl, it is with my tongue FIRMLY in my cheek that I would make such a claim. One solid hit on Forcier, one critical injury to the offensive line, or injuries or disciplinary actions on one or two defensive starters and it's a slippery downward spiral into oblivion...We saw that with this offense last year at Michigan and even at WVU when their superstar went down against Pitsburgh in the midst of the Rod's last season there - which was undefeated up to that point. I know how fast it can change...

But right now, the Wolverines are 1 win better that I thought they would be at this point and they are looking, well, not like the "team" that we witnessed last year. With 9 games left, my assumption earlier would be that we would win three of those. Indiana, Purdue, and Deleware State. Iowa, Sparty, Illinois, and Wisconsin are all tough games ON THE ROAD. PSU and OSU are the meat of the Big 10 and aren't going to go down easy. Granted, you have to believe, as a Wolverine, that you beat the I-Schools, but that's simply believing. Whether or not it actually happens is a whole other enchilada.

Iowa - Beat Penn State last year when they hadn't beaten anybody and PSU was looking invincible.
SPARTY - It's still Sparty. And we play them up there. They haven't gone back to back on us since the 60's, but there's always another time.
Illinois - Zook will have them pumped to play us...
Wisconsin - Don't think they aren't still stinging from last season's collapse in Ann Arbor.

PSU and OSU - I'll believe them when I see them.

So, Yes, I am giddy as a kid with a new bike right now and I can't wait to get out there and take it for a spin. However, I know there are losses coming.

Just let me enjoy the moment....

The MMQ

No comments: