Tuesday, September 3, 2019



Well, What did you expect?

I found myself asking this question to myself over and over all weekend. I found that I kept answering in what I hoped I'd see, not what a rational analysis would generate.

My emotional reaction is that the team did not look all that well prepared and the performance was generally underwhelming.  Yet looking at the stat line, We won a game, scoring 40 points, generating 453 yards of offense. Held the opponent to 67 Yards Rushing and 4-13 on 3rd down conversions. 

We started the game with the following

1)     2 Freshman Starting Tackles
2)     Freshman Starting Running Back
3)     By most accounts our best receiver and punt returner on the sideline
4)     A completely new offensive system
5)     An offensive Playcaller that has called fewer plays in his coaching career than the MMQ2
6)     Our highest potential DT out of the game on the first series with a hand injury

So I expected us to look unorganized and sloppy at times. I expected the inexperience at this positions would generate some mistakes. I expected some missed block, some offsides or holding calls. Not so much

What I didn't expect was 
1)  Our senior QB to fumble on the first play.
2)  Our Senior All Big Ten CB who flirted with the NFL to drop a walk-in Pick 6

The New Offense
Overall the temp is a little better, Stretching the field is a bigger priority and we probably didn't really show much.
My underlying fear in all of this is that Gattis has to much of an I'm to Cool for School Mentality. Young guy with some success and fortunate enough to operate in stable situations with exceptional talent.  Reminds me a bit of Matt Patricia with this I'm the smartest guy in the room personna.  This was most obvious with the 2 QB in the game stunt. Neither Shea or Dylan are better than at least the top 5 Receivers. So we create a 10 on 11 matchup. What's the point Smart Guy? Enlighten Us?  By the way, all the rules to protect the QB don't count when your QB is lined up as a receiver.  If I'm the DC on the other side, I am telling my biggest hot head to jack up the QB/Receiver and take the targeting call. If one of those guys gets hurt we're in BIG Trouble.

Observations
-Zack looked great, especially on Pass Protection
-Freshman Tackles were solid but I want Runyan back, healthy for Wisconsin
-Patterson was solid but his timing was off on the deep balls
- Bell,   Hands like feet
-Lots more deep pass routes that will stretch the defense
-Great to see Ambry Thomas back on the field AND Making Plays. VG looked serviceable as well
-Can we get Ma and Pa Glasgow a nice bottle of Wine and some sexy Lingerie and get busy getting us more Walkon's. Three sons that make the Starting Lineup in a Top 10 Program in the modern era is unfathomable. Jordan reminds me a lot of Jordan Kovacs.
-Freshman Class looks great. Lots of Solid Contributions and some of the biggest names are on the field yet (Hill, Hinton)
-How does Bryan,  the Human Parking Block,  Mone make an NFL Roster?
-DPJ not playing again, Always something with this guy.
-Nico Collins is the real Deal,  Reminds me of a combination of Deven Funchess and Jason Avant and the good parts of both.
-Stop the 2 QB Thing, It makes you look dumb. I like the idea of getting McCaffrey some meaning-full playing time as the QB. This has the feel of the Brady, Henson era. He's capable and the experience will only help for the future.  By the way Joe Milton shows me nothing. Big drop off there.
-Put Mason back in the backfield and give him the 4th and 1, 3rd and Short Hammer head.
-Great call on the Albrecht,  Somebody figured out quick that we would lose a challenge and Yards near the goal line. Looked dumb at first but Genius!

Up Next

Some   ARRRMMMY Training.  I love watching the Acadamies compete in Football. The personification of Discipline and Toughness. In the end I think dominant athletes win out as long as frustration doesn't set in. No Dumb Penalties and hang on to the Ball and we will be ok. Will not be an exciting game but a good character builder and we probably get a cool flyover or at least a parachute drop.


Reminder to All that this will be our Game to honor the MMQ at the Corner. Everyone is Welcome. Its an early game  so some food before and after the game are planned, No specific menu. These people will eat anything. See you Saturday!

Go Blue!



1 comment:

G money said...

Great Job Tom,

I too had mixed feelings about what we saw from the Maize and Blue this weekend. But when all is considered, it may work out to benefit the team in the long run. Meaning if we had hung 59 or 79 on MTS like some did to their opponents this weekend they may have been believing their own press clippings a little too much. The mistakes were hopefully humbling to some extent and will help the coaches drive home the point that they have a long away to go.

I would have to think the players from Maryland, Penn State, Wisconsin and possibly the Suckeyes are a little full of themselves this week in practice. Harder for the coaches to keep the edge and the "gotta get better every week" mantra going.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Michigan drop in the rankings some and put a chip on their shoulder.

Go Blue!

Greg