Friday, December 1, 2017

FMQ Week #14 - Merry Go Round Broken Down

The Coaching Carousel  - Merry Go Round Broken Down
So, Tennessee has offered to everyone pretty much east of the Mississippi.  I have been patiently waiting by my phone as they have to be getting close to my application/resume at some point.  Sequence of the Offers to coaches are:
Schiano – Twittered Out
Cutcliff – “Uh-uh”

Gundy – “Screw You, I’m a Cowboy for Life”
Doeren – “Ah, thanks but no thanks…”
Brohm – “I’m going to hold out for Louisville gig…”
Sumlin – “Uhhhhhh….I just got fired from a place with an insane fan base…”
Leach – “Sure – I’ll take it!”
Currie – CANNNED!!!!
And Tennessee is down a cool $13M in the process…
And if you want more dirt as to why the Haslam backed Currie (Haslam is the big Vol Booster that owns the Pilot Gas Station chain) was reportedly being torpedoed by former Vol Head Coach Fulmer, Read This:
I don’t think I’ve seen one this bad in a long, long time…

Arizona State makes the weirdest hire.  Former Agent turned AD Anderson hires a coach he used to rep in Herm Edwards that hasn’t been on a college sideline since 1989!!  And he’s 63 years old, about the time you should be THINKING ABOUT RETIRING!!!
Mullen, Moorehead and Kelly are probably locks for the best hires so far.  If A&M truly does land Jimbo Fisher and Arkansas gets Malzhan, those will also be worthy of a hat tip. 
Taggart to FSU to fill in for Fisher and I don’t know what Auburn does. 
WTF – Bosa over HURST For Defensive Lineman of the Year???
Hurst is more than a little pissed…


From the Detroit News:
According to the Big Ten, "the Big Ten postseason awards are voted on by conference coaches and a select media panel and honors teams, coaches and students with individual awards that each bear the names of one or two former standouts."
Hurst, a unanimous All-Big Ten first-team selection announced Tuesday, had a career-high 59 tackles this season.
His 13.5 tackles for loss rank sixth in the conference — he’s had 33.5 for his career, which ranks 17th all-time at UM. He had five sacks this fall.
Bosa had 28 tackles, including 12.5 for loss and six sacks, in 12 games (seven starts).
Last month Pro Football Focus analyst Josh Liskiewitz told Rivals that Hurst is “probably the best player in the country regardless of position right now.

So Michigan gets F’d again…Anyone wonder why I’m so bitter?
My favorite Tweet:  Jack Wangler:  “Maurice Hurst is spelled wrong…”

NCAA Drops Hammer On Ole Miss
Yet it still probably wasn’t enough based on everything Ole Miss did.  But I guess it’s something.  Additional year of no bowl (which probably isn’t going to be relevant anyway) and scholarships reductions.  And Seniors can transfer and be eligible IMMEDIATELY.  Ole Miss have any good Offensive Lineman that want to wear Maize and Blue?  Details…
Here is an entire list of the penalties given to the school:
• Probation through 2020
• A fine of $5,000 plus one percent of the football’s budget over three years (self-imposed)
• Two-year postseason ban counting 2017
• Two-game conference suspension for Freeze if he’s hired as a head coach somewhere before Nov. 30, 2018. Based on the language in the release, Freeze does not face a penalty if he is hired as an assistant coach.
• Eight-year show-cause for the team’s operations coordinator. During the show-cause he can’t “hold any athletically related duties or have contact with prospective student-athletes and their families.”
• Five-year show-cause for assistant coach who helped facilitate the fraudulent standardized tests. A two-year show cause for another assistant coach.
• Five-year show-cause for the school’s assistant athletic director
• A total of 13 scholarship reductions through 2018-19
• Additional recruiting restrictions and disassociation of boosters

Season Final Grades…
I was going to wait until next week to do this, but I feel like I just want it to be done and out of the way.  The FMQ’s will be available next week for your reading pleasure.
OFFENSE
QB:  D
This seems like a harsh grade, but in reality, it’s a reflection of Michigan’s offensive line and in the initial portion of the season, some of the play calling, too.  But with both Speight and Peters getting hurt and having to watch the 12th episode of the season with O’Korn behind the center, well, it definitely left a pretty poor taste in everyone’s mouth.  I would have probably given a C- here if it wasn’t for the last game’s performance.
Wide Receivers/Tight Ends:  B-
The Wide Receiver/Tight End crew actually helped their grade against the suckeyes.  I saw guys that were all over and wide open.  O’Korn simply couldn’t get the ball to them.  But, overall, there were still a few too many drops and guys were not going after the ball like they need to.  Hopefully, with a year under their belts and Peters delivering strikes, things will get better here.
Offensive Line:  C-
This grade also came up from the mid-season point as I felt that Michigan’s rushing game had come together against inferior or lesser opponents.  When Newsome gets back next season, Michigan should be better at run-blocking and more importantly, pass protect. 
Running Backs:  B+
A breath of fresh air as it seemed that both Higdon and Evans were able to gain yards after contact and in a couple of games, had more yards after contact than before contact.  I like stats like that.  Isaac also played a key role.  If Michigan would have had a serious/real deep threat, I think the running backs could have easily gotten this grade up to an A
Coaching:  C
It seems like in year three, the offense would have been better able to handle the departure of key players.  I know developing an offensive line is the hardest part of football, but Michigan should have recognized the gaps and areas where improvement was needed and start finding some bodies that can handle assignments.  Transfers, Jucos, whatever… Having reviewed some of my earlier posts, I’m going to go on about play calling and how much better it could have been.  Especially in the Sparty game and to a certain extent, PSU.  Both those games saw terrible play calling and a sequence of play calling at times that made me scratch my head. 
Overall Offense:  C-
This seems about right.  It was a pretty average to slightly below average offense that was paired with a Defense that was more than capable of keeping you in any game.  And it started on the line.  Michigan needs to get those issues ironed out in the off-season and everything else should get better.  8-4 isn’t a sin, but it doesn’t sit well when you have higher expectations. 
DEFENSE
D-Line/D-Tackles:  A
I could have easily given this unit the “A+”, but there were lapses in some games.  Arguably, you could state that if the offense would just keep them off the field and fresh, those lapses disappear.  I’m hoping 2018 will see that offensive improvement as this defense is a lot of fun to watch when its fresh. I’m really going to miss Winnovich and Mo Hurst.  They were fun to watch this season. 
Linebackers:  A
I’m not sure who I’d trade with (team wise) to get a better set of linebackers than what Michigan has and is developing right now.  Again, this will be fun for years to come.   I’m going to miss Mike McCray…
DB’s & Safeties:   B-
This grade was higher (probably a B+) until Metellus dropped that INT in the last game.  But overall, I can only think of one game (PSU) where Michigan got really exposed in this area.  I actually think a season of experience with the returning guys is going to help tremendously. 
Coaching:  A
Don Brown has won me over.  He knows what he’s doing and while I was initially skeptical, I’m convinced that with the right personnel, he can get the job done.  I can’t recall when I’ve ever seen this group come out flat. 
Overall Defense:  A-
I guess I’m putting the minus in there because of the 4 losses.  Not necessarily on the Defense, but an A with 4 blemishes doesn’t seem right to me.  Seems like you should have a shot at double-digit wins to earn the A.  And I’ll include the bowl as part of the 10, and Michigan can only get to 9. 
Auburn’s Wildcat “Trick” Play
Great article about the Wildcat Trick Play incorporating a wheel route with a flip back to the QB.  Harbaugh, I LIKE STUFF LIKE THIS!!!
THE FMQ
Well, that sucked a little, but a win is a win….Too many points given in good match-ups.  Probably make the same mistake this week…
Chart posted on Monday with Week #13 and #14 Results!!!
Small Winners!!!
Championship Week – I will be taking points, even though that hasn’t been a good strategy over the years.  Seems like there’s been a lot of blow-outs…
On to this week’s picks!
Pac 12 (Friday Night – WHY?)  Stanford vs. USC (-3):  This is a tricky spread.  Normally, I’d like USC here, but I have a funny feeling that Stanford and Bryce Love may come out swinging early.  I’ll take the points…
Take Stanford and the 3 for $50
The AAC Championship:  UCF vs. Memphis (+7)  Scott Frost is going to be sent out on a high note to his next gig.  Those players love their coach and want to win for him.  The September 30th game that UCF won when they played Memphis 40-13 is kind of a clue here, too. 
Take UCF and lay the 7 for $40 
ACC Championship:  Miami vs. Clemson (-8): This spread seems about right assuming Miami brings the team that destroyed the Domers.  If they bring the same Miami they took to Pitt, look out.  Miami’s leading receive is OUT after getting inured in practice this week. Plus, I don’t think Miami plays very well when the temperature drops below 50.  Game time temp:  49
Take Clemson and lay the 8 for $50
SEC Championship:  Auburn vs. Georgia (+1.5):  Does ANYONE actually think this is a 1.5 point game?  I know all about Auburn’s leading rusher’s shoulder.  He said he’d be there on game day.  Auburn CRUSHED Georgia three weeks ago.  I for one am not convinced there will be enough Georgia fans in Atlanta to make that big of a difference.   Auburn rules the day and Malzhan announces that he’s leaving for Arkansas while thumbing his nose at the Fickle Tiger fans on his way out the door…  
Take Auburn and lay the 1.5 for $75
The Big iiX Championship:  Oklahoma vs. TCU (+7.5):   Too many damn times I’ve trusted Patterson’s TCU defense to do the right thing and they haven’t.  I also doubted Baker Mayfield once or twice and that bit me in the ass, too.  So, learn from your mistakes.  
Take Oklahoma and lay the 7.5 for $50
The B1G Championship:  Suckeyes vs. Wiscy (+6.5):  I have no idea where this spread is coming from.  Wiscy’s defense will keep them in this game and I think Wiscy’s running game, which we’ve seen be very effective against a good D with Michigan, should be able to handle the suckeye Defense.  I could be wrong, but I think Wiscy wins this thing....    

Take Wiscy and the 6.5 for $50

No comments: