Monday, January 7, 2008

LSU - OSU: Arsenic or Cyanide?

The National Title Game

Here we are. It's the end of what can only be described as a "head scratching" season. Upsets were not the unusual - they were the norm. Was there any game this season that included a top 5 team where you didn't think, "Yeah, the underdog has a real shot in that game." I am not talking about just a wouldn't it be nice thought....No, these were more like "the favorite better look out because the dogs are coming home."

It's frustrating that the NFL playoffs have started and I am still going to be watching college football. Traditionally, my college hat is usually put away for the Pros at this time of year and I can get into the build-up to the Super Bowl. But it's Janauary 7th, the Christmas decorations are put away, and I am going to turn on a college football game tonight....No, something just isn't right.

If we're going to be stuck with the BCS, please turn back the clock to pre-2000 and at least let me gorge myself on football on January 1. Wednesday and Thursday were good games, but couldn't we mix those in with what we had on the 1st? Speaking of which, I would be remiss if I didn't get my Hokie and Later digs in here:

HOKIES vs. Kansas: Hokie fan, you must know how it feels to lose the last game of the season quite regularly right now. You clowns really let me down in my Bowl Pool...No longer am I a Hokie believer. You're frauds until you prove otherwise. What's your record in the last game? Without looking it up, I can't think of one you have won in the last 5 tries...I know Georgia spanked you and Auburn had a piece of you, also. What's the deal with the ACC, anyway? I don't see you guys winning a lot of bowl games, and if Sparty had not given BC the game, well, it would have looked really bad for your conference....

WVU vs. Oklahoma: IF Bob Stoops isn't campaigning to get the Big 12 out of the Fiesta Bowl alliance, he's insane. Is there anyplace - stadium - on earth that Oklahoma would rather NOT play in than in Tempe, Arizona? To say they have had some bad games there would be an understatement. Stoops and Oklahoma have not fared well at all post season since the injustice game with Jason White and the loss in the title game to KSU. It just goes to show that there is Karma and USC should have been in that National Title game against LSU in 2004.

Which brings us to tonight. OSU vs. LSU

Arsenic or Cyanide?

Personally, I literally needed to write down the pros and cons of this game to get a feel for who I wanted to win. Ideally, I want this game to last forever in an infinite tie, but that won't happen, so we need to figure out who we should root for.

LSU

Pros: I like Les Miles. How can a Michigan Fan not like him? Regardless of some of the things he's said and done, I believe he is a great coach in the mold of Schembechler and he will historically have an important place in the collegiate game. I would rather see Les win than the "Vest" take another title. Les deserves it and he will always root for Michigan, so I have to be loyal to him.

Cons: The SEC wins another title. This grinds me to the core, but I can't let my hate for the SEC overide my like for Miles. So, even though he coaches in THAT conference, I believe he deserves the win, even though it further supports the SEC supremacy argument. This is the only really bad con I can come up with...With the exception that the coach that could have been Michigan's next head man will have won a national title and we missed on the opportunity to hire him because of it.

OSU
Pros: They are the Big Ten. This was a much easier team to root for when they were playing against the crooks of Miami in 2001. However, it's never easy for a Michigan Fan to say "Go OSU" - Hell, it's even difficult to type it. But the Big Ten is the Big Ten, and we need to stick together. And if they win, the SEC gets knocked down to the level of everyone else.

CONS: What does the Big 10 winning this game REALLY accomplish? The SEC Press will say that LSU was not a great team and overall, top to bottom, the SEC is still a superior conference to everyone else....So 3 months from now, you will have both OSU AND the SEC elitist in our ear who claim that they will be back next year for vengance and victory over all...It doesn't shut Herbstriet up, it doesn't shut up Corso....No, OSU winning suddenly puts them right there in the "MAJOR NATIONAL PROGRAM" discussion in bold letters...And that really turns my stomach...In fact, I am getting a headache right now as I write this.

So, where does that leave this fan? Again, it's arsenic or cyanide, and it's tough. But I am going to stick with the Maize and Blue and turn the tint on my TV up so it looks like LSU's purple is Blue and root like hell against OSU...Sorry if I am letting the Big 10 down and going against everything I have preached up to this point, but I just can't root for the Suckeyes anymore...It's too painful and it's getting to be too much with these clowns....

If I am offending any OSU fans out there, well, blow me. But I need you knocked down a peg a whole lot more than I need the SEC knocked down a peg...that's how I feel right now.


GO LSU! Beat OSU!

Which means that the Suckeyes probably win as they are the dog and it will somehow put a fitting end on this whacky season...

No comments: